PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ordered frag pack, bit of help pls.

chasekwe
01/28/2011, 09:08 PM
Hi folks,

So after successfully keeping some random zoas I bought at my LFS for the past few months I decided to order a larger bunch of zoanthids. The plan is to frag all of them off of their rocks/plugs upon arrival, dip in Coral Rx, and glue them to fresh rubble or shells for placement on the sandbed. Yes, I have gloves.

Lighting is provided by AquaIllumination Sol Blue fixtures running at 95/80/80% ~8" above the sandbed which is about 18" below the water. AKA - extremely bright light. Flow is provided by MP10s set to random export at max intensity. I'd rate flow as moderate/high to high with few low flow areas available.

I'm particularly interested in whether to expect aggression and also with possible final placement options? Will they always stay on the sandbed level or can they be moved up, etc. ? I can also temporarily turn down the lights to any intensity level I want if simply placing on the sandbed isn't doing enough?

Here is what they were sold to me as:

Blondie's - Unspecified Zoanthids - Eagle Eyes
Fire & Ice - K.O. Nightmare Paly - Lunar Eclipse Paly
Magician's Paly - Mohawk Paly - Purple Death Paly

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/chasekwe/Compilation.jpg

Jarred1
01/28/2011, 09:27 PM
you can just run carbon for what ever toxins they put in the water. looks like a great pack can i ask you where you got the pack from?

SD Actuary
01/28/2011, 10:18 PM
What I have always done when I receive a new frag pack is to leave the frag on the plug / disc that they come on and set at the lowest possible part in my tank.

The reason behind leaving them on the frag plug for a few days, is to make sure that they adapt well to your water conditions, and it is infinitely easier to dip / inspect a frag on a plug in your sand bed rather than a glued frag to a show-rock. After about a week and they are fully expanded I will consider un-fragging it and glue it to it's final placement.

I also have the AquaIllumination Sol Blue modules, and they can be insanely bright at first introduction to the tank.

Especially due to the intensity of the AI lighting, you will want to place them at the lowest point, and gradually move them up as they adapt to the par of the LEDs. There are many kinds of Zs and Ps that do great being blasted with light, Mohawks especially, do well in high light.

This is just what has worked for me, and my Zs and Ps are looking great.

XSharkboyX
02/02/2011, 05:16 PM
For clarification purposes. Those are all zoathids... Except fot the "purple deaths."

Vang025
02/04/2011, 01:23 AM
Nice looking zoas. They are hardy corals and like every coral, they have different preferences. I just move them around when they aren't multiplying or growing as well as the other zoas. Some likes higher flow and stronger lighting while some will do fine with low light and low flow. BTW where did you get this frag pack?