PDA

View Full Version : Submersible return Pump

racefan
01/29/2011, 08:15 AM
I'm looking for a submersible return pump for a 40B I'm setting up. It's going to have a 700GPM overflow & 2 returns(locline) I was looking at a Quiet One 4000. It has a max head of 10' 1017GPH@ 50watts. I read on samsreef.com a rule of thumb for efficiency is divide GPH by watts to get an efficiency rating & that one comes out to 20.34.
Anyone have any thoughts?

davocean
01/29/2011, 10:59 AM
My thoughts are quiet one pumps are inappropriately named.
I'd much rather have an Eheim or Tunze return, or even an oceanrunner if on a budget.

billdogg
01/29/2011, 11:17 AM
I would check out an eheim as well. You might get by with a eheim 1050, but I would look at a 1260 or even a 1262. They are , at least IMHO, the best on the market. I have a 1262 that is well 0over 20 years old now. Other than an occasional rinse (once a year, maybe?) it just sits in there and does its job. I have maybe put an impeller in it once. And, sitting on a piece of mouse pad, dead silent.

syrinx
01/29/2011, 11:46 AM
Mag drive are the most bulletproof for the money- but can be loud. The quiet one line of pumps I have not used in years- but dropped them from my lines due to the lack of reliable service- and lack of being quiet in some situations. I also use ehiem pumps- which are quieter than the mags- but more expensive and less robust.

badazztealcobra
01/29/2011, 02:34 PM
My thoughts are quiet one pumps are inappropriately named.
I'd much rather have an Eheim or Tunze return, or even an oceanrunner if on a budget.

Couldn't agree more. I bought a QO4000 because I wanted to run my return and my BP reactor all off one pump. Needless to say, it lasted about 30 minutes and then the Tunze Silence went right back in.

If you don't mind spending a little more money on the pump, the Tunze Silence is the nicest and definitely quietest submersible pump I've ever used. I like it so much I bought a second one to run my reactors instead of using the larger QO pump.

My second choice would be the eheim pumps after that......

rysher
01/29/2011, 08:01 PM
i also have a 40B, i'm using an eheim 1250 for return.