PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sumps

EllisJuan
01/29/2011, 08:38 PM
Can anyone recommend a company or individual that can build me a custom sump? Space is somewhat limited under my 65g and I am looking for a sump with roughly the dimensions of a standard 15g (24x12x12).

Thanks

LPS_Blasto
01/29/2011, 08:41 PM
Build it yourself? You can buy a 15g tank anywhere. Glass baffles from the local hardware store. Tube of silicone.

How about a sketch of what you want and some explanations of how the water is to flow through the sump?

Where are you located?

EllisJuan
01/29/2011, 08:51 PM
Build it yourself? You can buy a 15g tank anywhere. Glass baffles from the local hardware store. Tube of silicone.

How about a sketch of what you want and some explanations of how the water is to flow through the sump?

Where are you located?

I thought about building it myself, but I really am not sure I want to. After buying the tank, getting the glass cut with polish edges, the right silicon, time, etc. I was thinking it may be worth it to just pay someone to build me an acrylic one.

I was thinking three sections left to right. 8" area from tank with filter sock & skimmer, 10" area for small fuge, 6" area for return pump. Probably just a simple 3 baffle setup.

How do you think that would work? I am very open to suggestions as this is my first tank with a sump and would value any experienced advice.

I am in North Florida.

EllisJuan
01/29/2011, 10:26 PM
Anyone? Is 12" too shallow? My stand is not very tall and I would not like to go any taller for the sump if I can get away with it.

Swizle
01/29/2011, 10:27 PM
Take a look here for some ideas i believe he will also make one for you. http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

EllisJuan
01/30/2011, 02:12 PM
Take a look here for some ideas i believe he will also make one for you. http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

He makes some really nice stuff, but it sounds like it would cost me $400-$500 :eek1:

I think I found someone that can build one for me locally. Would any of you be able to help me design a sump that would fit in my size restrictions?

The ideal size would be 24x12x12, but could go 24x14x12 if I needed.

bayoupr
01/30/2011, 02:19 PM
reefmania.com He made one for me 42 x 11.5 x 16 a year ago. Price was very reasonable. I am looking into another from him for my 180g build. If you are not in a hurry (he's backed up for a couple months) I would recommend them.

EllisJuan
01/30/2011, 02:29 PM
reefmania.com He made one for me 42 x 11.5 x 16 a year ago. Price was very reasonable. I am looking into another from him for my 180g build. If you are not in a hurry (he's backed up for a couple months) I would recommend them.

Thanks. I did not see any Sumps on the site. Did you just email them?

EllisJuan
01/30/2011, 02:32 PM
I actually just called the contact number for reefmania.com and was told they do not do build them.....hmm

bayoupr
01/30/2011, 02:41 PM
They do build sumps. Send an email inquiring about a custom sump you want built? I just sent an email the other day and Bob wants me to send him a diagram of what I want.

reefified
01/30/2011, 05:15 PM
i would also just get the tank at the LSF and build one. You can do it for about as cheap as things in this hobby get. Plus you can make changes and/or modify if needed. You can purchase glass or plexi glass anywhere

EllisJuan
01/30/2011, 10:26 PM
OK. I will give building it a try. I will see about picking up a 15g. tank this week and find someone to cut me some glass. I built one out of a 20g and getting plexiglass and glass to bond using silicon is a pain.

How would you guys set it up? The dimensions would be 24x12x12.

EllisJuan
01/30/2011, 10:38 PM
I just realized the baffles I had for my 20g will fit inside a 15g. So, I have 3 9" tall baffles already cut for me. I just need a little help with how to configure them in the tank.

dpx88
01/30/2011, 11:31 PM
where are you located?

EllisJuan
01/30/2011, 11:42 PM
where are you located?

Tallahassee.

EllisJuan
01/31/2011, 09:34 PM
I just realized the baffles I had for my 20g will fit inside a 15g. So, I have 3 9" tall baffles already cut for me. I just need a little help with how to configure them in the tank.

Can someone help me out with this? Which baffle will dictate how high the water level is for my skimmer?

How does this look?
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/TahoeDust/Sump-1-1.jpg

vushnick
02/01/2011, 01:39 AM
If I was local, I would be able to build you one. I've done a couple already and it really isn't too difficult. Go with pre-cut acrylic and some Weld-On #4.

EllisJuan
02/01/2011, 02:32 AM
If I was local, I would be able to build you one. I've done a couple already and it really isn't too difficult. Go with pre-cut acrylic and some Weld-On #4.

Yeah. That would be awesome, but shipping would be a pain. Is there a place online you can order pre-cut acrylic? I am not even sure who I could find in town that would do it for me.

vushnick
02/03/2011, 01:04 PM
I don't deal with online too much because shipping usually kills the deal. I would call around to local plastic manufacturers and get an estimate of the pieces. Most places charge you for a 4'x8' piece even if you don't use all of it. I am fortunate that a place in dallas only charges by the square footage used. E&T plastics is who I use in Dallas if you don't mind the shipping charges. Hope that helps.

Vu