PDA

View Full Version : my fish wont eat rogers reef food

mcfa2403
01/30/2011, 07:04 AM
I currently have a bangaii cardinal and two saddleback clowns in a 28 nano and they dont seem to pick at the food at all or even seem interested. Should I feed them other food, as I am concerned about their health, or will they eventually eat it if given no other choice?

chimmike
01/30/2011, 08:47 AM
how long have you had them, and did they eat at the LFS?

might want to try a different food, mysis shrimp or something.

Larry Waughon
01/30/2011, 01:36 PM
http://www.rodsfood.com/index.html

jessp
01/30/2011, 01:38 PM
rogers food is fantastic, I am shocked that none of your fish are eating.

rc1626
01/30/2011, 01:47 PM
My fish love it!! They have been eating it since I first introduced it to them.

Swolek
01/30/2011, 02:15 PM
Are you feeding it in big chunks? If so, try breaking it into really small pieces. All of my fish, even picky ones, love it but will sometimes ignore large pieces (I have smaller fish).

Either way, there's no harm in feeding a variety of foods. I would try mysis shrimp, Rod's food, krill, New Life Spectrum pellets, etc.

seapug
01/30/2011, 02:16 PM
If the fish were wild caught they probably aren't accustomed to pureed blended foods like Rod's, Rogers, etc.

I'd recommend first trying straight Hikari or PE Mysis thoroughly thawed in tank water. Most wild caught fish have a strong response when seeing/smelling whole mysis shrimp.

After a couple feedings you can start mixing the Rogers in with the mysis and they will probably eat the whole mixture. Whole mysis is a great staple diet but if you don't want to continue using it you can probably wean them straight on to the Rogers. Once fish get excited with a feeding routine they will eat just about anything you put in the tank. Just ask my Nori eating leopard wrasse....:)

If the mysis alone doesn't get them to feed, try mixing some live brine shrimp in with it. Live adult brine shrimp are a weak staple diet, but most fish can't resist them so they can be good for getting reluctant fish to eat.

chimmike
01/30/2011, 03:35 PM
still waiting for the OP to respond.

mcfa2403
02/01/2011, 10:52 AM
Sorry it took me so long to respond, my fish seem to eat it now that I broke it into smaller chunks. Thanks for the help, I was hoping to use the mesh system it comes with so it would feed my coral as well, but i will need to get my fish accustomed first I guess. Again thanks for the help!