PDA

View Full Version : Sabae Split

skinnyboy81
01/30/2011, 03:13 PM
I need some quick advice. I just split my 18in. Sabae into four pieces. Everything seemed to go okay but now I'm not sure what to do with them. My original thought was to put them in a QT tank and not back in the main display. Now that they are in the QT (does not have "good" lighting) I'm thinking that I should put them back in the main display so that they get good light. Any ideas????

davocean
01/30/2011, 04:18 PM
Sorry to say this was not a good idea.
There's a very good chance all 4 pieces of that sebae are going to melt.
I would not put it in the display, get a light for QT.

skinnyboy81
01/30/2011, 05:10 PM
I hope this doesn't happen. Why don't you think they will survive?

bigdog69
01/30/2011, 05:23 PM
ummmmmm y did u cut this nem

davocean
01/30/2011, 05:37 PM
I hope this doesn't happen. Why don't you think they will survive?

Cutting nems to frag them is sometimes done w/ BTA's, and while some have success doing this, there are alot of losses from this.
This is NOT a common practice w/ other host nems.
If you are lucky, and I mean very lucky, you might have enough of the foot and mouth to have a piece survive, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I'm not sure what made you frag this nem.

rhdoug
01/30/2011, 06:06 PM
I'll be following this to see how it does...good luck with the pieces.

Tnconcept
01/30/2011, 06:12 PM
Maybe in haft not 4....risk taker..good luck.

Nebthet
01/30/2011, 06:28 PM
I have read in several places that sebae nems are not the type to clone themselves by fission, that if they do split, the part with the most mouth and foot will survive and that is only a very low chance.

The others are correct. Just because a BTA can split and survive, doesn't mean the other host anemones work in the same way.

I will be following this to see what happens.

skinnyboy81
01/30/2011, 06:55 PM
I appreciate your comments. It sounds like I made a big mistake and will end up paying for it in the loss of my sabae. As of right now, the pieces don't look that bad. I'm going to move them to another tank with no inhabitants in the event of a loss.

Next, I will be attempting to split my Yellow tang into two pieces. The only question is which plane should he be split. Wish me luck.

elegance coral
01/30/2011, 06:57 PM
Basically, you just killed your anemone. In the future, please do some studying before you do these types of experiments on living animals.

syrinx
01/30/2011, 07:20 PM
Lot of trolling lately- but no one seems to notice.

RokleM
01/31/2011, 11:59 AM
Lot of trolling lately- but no one seems to notice.

Then use the report button.

And for reference, most of the posts above were correct. More research and preparation should have went into this. Given what I've read, there's only a handful of people on here that should try something like this, and their first response wouldn't have been to ask for help afterwords ;)

That being said, I hope it works out for the OP, also recommend keeping it seperate from the display, and recommend maybe doing some decent water changes if the temp QT water gets foul.

sslak
01/31/2011, 12:24 PM
This makes me sad. Why would you do that?

skinnyboy81
02/02/2011, 03:09 PM
As of today, all four pieces are still alive and doing well. Three of the four have attached themselves to the walls of their floating breeding tanks. What seems to be new growth has started to form around the foot of each piece.

chrisqueenz
02/02/2011, 04:53 PM
Have any pictures? Would like to know how this turns out for you

Nebthet
03/20/2011, 09:02 PM
It's been over a month, are there any updates on this?