PDA

View Full Version : How to Care for and Requirements of St. Thomas Mushroom?

iheartJMS
01/30/2011, 10:14 PM
What are the requirements that St. Thomas mushrooms prefer? Are they easy to care for? Would one be a good first coral to introduce to my tank? I plan to feed a couple times per week...As for lighting, I am running a 4 bulb HO t5 fixture for a total of 72 watts over a 20 gallon high tank.

britestar101
01/30/2011, 10:30 PM
they are easy but they are also delicate, mine seem to like less flow and less light than regular mushrooms, so start them at the bottom in indirect light, a little shade, you don't need to feed them that much, i don't feed mine directly at all.

be warned, I had a cleaner shrimp kill one because it bothered it too much. it jumped off the rock to get away and committed suicide.

here's a link to some info
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reef/corallimorph/BubbleMushroom.php

iheartJMS
01/30/2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll check out that link now :)

iheartJMS
01/31/2011, 09:51 PM
Anyone else? :o Would this be a good first coral to introduce...

Rudolph
02/07/2011, 08:28 AM
well I am not sure about St. Thomas mushrooms since I never had one, but I have regular shrooms and ricordia and they all have seem fairly easy and come in a multitude of colors....so try a variety of colors and varieties and sit back and let them multiple....they are great corals

jeff@zina.com
02/07/2011, 12:52 PM
There's nothing dramatically special about a St. Thomas compared to other mushroom corals. Start in lower light and move it to brighter if it's not doing well. I don't directly feed them, they get enough from leftover fish food. Mine do close when the peppermint shrimp runs over them, but he doesn't bother them in any way.

Jeff

iheartJMS
02/07/2011, 09:10 PM
Thank you both for the helpful information :)