PDA

View Full Version : small fish ideas for 75 rebuild

skyshrimp
01/31/2011, 07:16 AM
Hey everyone i was hoping to get you input on a idea i had. I am going to be rebuilding my 75g reef tank and I only want small fish in it this time around. Something like damsels and some other small weird or interesting fish that are good to watch. If you all have any ideas go on and let me know please. I will have inverts in the tank as well and when I say small fish I mean somthing that stays under 3 or 4 inches.

TripleT
01/31/2011, 07:26 AM
My 75, with a * next to the ones I might relocate:

5 chromis, lots of rock to hide in mandatory
sleeper goby (always loved them, despite the sand storm they make)
yasha goby
*2nd Yasha goby (hates the 1st)
bicolor blenny
*1 lyretail anthias (i can tell she'd rather be in a bigger tank)
1 red dragonet
2 ocellaris clowns
2 citron clown gobies
2 firefish
*1 clarkii (will be a problem in a couple of years, but very small now)
2 cleaner shrimp
3 peppermints
a few trochus snails
a couple of nassarius snails
dozens of bristleworms
thousands of pods

Low bioload according to my skimmer and testing.

GQJake81
01/31/2011, 07:30 AM
i have a yellow wrasse that is interesting. moves in and out of the reef. also eats flatworms if you ever developed that problem.

i also have a coral beauty that is fun to watch and moves thru the reef a lot as well.

but my favorite is my randall's goby and pistol shrimp. they aren't out all the time, but when they do come out, it's really neat to see them interact.

jcook54
01/31/2011, 07:51 AM
Orchid Dottyback? I have one in a 65 and it's been a really niced fish to keep. Hangs out around the live rock and is the first fish people ask about whenever they check out the tank.

skyshrimp
01/31/2011, 09:16 AM
Nice keep the comments coming how bout little weird fish?

Green_Reefer
01/31/2011, 10:34 AM
I am doing my tank along the same line as yours, but with a more passive theme. Here is my current list:

3 Carpenter Wrasses
One-eyed Rusty Angel
Yellow Assessor
Whitecap Goby
Randall's pistol shrimp
3 Skunk Cleaners
10 sm nassarius snails
2 med nassarius snails
5 Spiked Astrea snails
5 Cerith snails
1 Turbo snail
1 blue leg hermit
1 Halloween hermit
3 Blue knuckle hermits

I hope to add one or two Helfrichi firefish in six months or so. I may add another unique fish later on down the line, probably some sort of Anthias or Fairy Wrasse. I love the Borbonius, but I don't think I will have the room for something that large unless I get a smaller specimen and have a firm plan to upgrade to a larger tank.

Everything is 3" or under with the exception of the Rusty which could hit 4". No aggression issues and the Rusty has been good with corals to date. The Assessor is the most interesting of the bunch with his swimming style. He is always upside down, sideways or vertical when swimming, if I am lucky I can catch him swimming like a normal fish once a day. He is always out in open water swimming with the carpenter's, with the Angel swimming through the rockwork with the occasional swim out in the open.

The Whitecap is like a mini killer whale with his coloring, he was just added to the DT last night and is currently in hiding. Hopefully he has met up with the pistol, he was in a small cave near the pistol's burrow last night and we can't find him today. Mind you finding a 3/4" fish in a 75g is no easy chore.