PDA

View Full Version : Need help with leather...please

tcwells23
01/31/2011, 05:33 PM
I just bought a 90 gal rr setup that had been taken down a week ago. The live rock was in a cooler with old tank water over it. One rock had a big leather on it. The guy said he thought it would be ok and to put it back in the tank once I got it set back up. The color doesn't look good, it's all slumped over and pieces of it are breaking off. Should I remove it from the tank or leave it and see if it makes a come back? I'll try to attach a picture. Thanks!

Ritten
02/02/2011, 12:46 PM
I think I would take it out of the water, cut it all the way down to its base, swish it in some tank water and then put it back with good flow, run lots of carbon and keep a close eye on it. There is a video on how to do this. I'll look for it for you.

Ritten
02/02/2011, 12:50 PM
Here you go, it is really easy. It cuts very easily. They usually have a lot of water inside so put plenty of towels down. I would cut quite a bit off.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1590749

Obviously due to the health of your coral, you'll skip the part about mounting the frags and I would just discard what you cut.

Amipro
02/04/2011, 07:44 AM
If it is the only thing in the tank I would give it a few days to see if it looks like it will come back on its own. Leathers are pretty hearty. If it didn't show any improvement then I agree that you should probably trim it back. IMO

syrinx
02/04/2011, 01:18 PM
As long as you cut back into the good flesh- you can frag away. Just throw away the disitigrating parts with a good rim of flesh on them still.