PDA

View Full Version : how can I get rid of blue Xenia??

Brian DeGolier
01/31/2011, 10:42 PM
This is the very small kind, not the large pulsing type. This stuff is starting to cover the rocks, I removed the main frag over a year ago, but it kept popping up in certain places. I've tried using a stiff brush with plastic bristles, a brass brush, electronic revolving circular brush, brushing with Ca Chloride concentrate. I'm done with brushes. Any suggestions?

RCERNA280
01/31/2011, 10:52 PM
Yeah I'm having the same problem. The spots where I scraped off some
Of the Xenias now have a bunch of little ones sprouting. One advice to me was calc paste or get rid of the rock or completely cook the rock and start over with it.

Borchers
01/31/2011, 11:49 PM
It sounds like blue clove polyps. They can get to epic proportions. Cover them with epoxy to kill them off. Scraping will not work. They will cover all exposed rock like a mat. Good luck. They are pretty but like the plague.

sbcaes
01/31/2011, 11:49 PM
sell it to me. (send me pics)

RCERNA280
02/01/2011, 12:19 AM
sell it to me. (send me pics)

If you only live close by I'd be happy give you a whole bunch, which I did to a few reefers over here in sf bay area

olemiss reb
02/01/2011, 10:52 AM
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1278&cid=301

That guy should be marketed as the xenia eradicator. I have one in a fowlr but place xenia infested rocks from other tanks in his and they are spotless the next morning. Down side is that no soft corals are safe. Black Long spine urchins will eat the blue snowflake polyps.

Steve W
02/01/2011, 11:29 AM
Once every 3 or 4 months I put rubble all around the xenias and leave it for a week. A lot of it so everyone it touching the rubble, about 1/2 buried. Then I go in and remove it all and 90% of it comes out with the rubble which I take to my LFS who gives me $30 or $40 credit every time. I then pull out any pieces that are really in a problem area and put rubble over the attachment point so the new ones grow onto the rubble. Then I take them too, usually leaving only 1 or 2 small polyps in the tank.

In 3 or 4 months I do it again. I make more off these than any other frags in my tank.

Brian DeGolier
02/23/2011, 01:04 PM
It sounds like blue clove polyps. They can get to epic proportions. Cover them with epoxy to kill them off. Scraping will not work
Borchers, thanks for the reply. What kind of epoxy do you use?

livingcorals
02/24/2011, 10:41 AM
actually I put a few frags of Cyphastrea near a rock that had a bunch of them near. With in 3 weeks to 1 month I notice 80% were gone.
The Cyphastrea also took out 4 Fla rics as well.
Good luck to ya!

Bcollins111900
02/27/2011, 09:54 PM
Man, you guys cant kill it and I cant keep it what gives? I have gotten huge pieces covered in the stuff and next day it is all gone...