PDA

View Full Version : please suggest stocking for a 34g

spicytuna
02/01/2011, 12:55 AM
Could you guys please advise on some fish for my 34g (18x25x18). I would like to stock as many fish as possible but I know not many fish do well in small tanks or are compatible with each other.

My filtration should be able to handle a nice size bio load as I run a 10g sump with a 200m filter sock changed daily, bubble Magus cone skimmer, phosban reactor for carbon and plenty of live rock and sand for hiding spots.

I would ideals like to have 2-3 gobies, 2 clowns and maybe a blenny

Please suggest reef safe non aggressive fish, nothing is worse in my opinion then a stressed out fish in your tank

TMF89
02/01/2011, 02:21 AM
As far as I know most gobies would get territorial in a tank that small (that knowledge comes pretty much solely from sites like Live Aquaria, so people who actually have had experience with them might say different), but like I just said I could quite possibly be completely wrong, and I'm sure there are more peaceful gobies than others. Not sure how the gobies and blenny would react to each other, but a pair of clowns should be fine, depending on which species you go with.

spicytuna
02/01/2011, 07:29 AM
As far as I know most gobies would get territorial in a tank that small (that knowledge comes pretty much solely from sites like Live Aquaria, so people who actually have had experience with them might say different), but like I just said I could quite possibly be completely wrong, and I'm sure there are more peaceful gobies than others. Not sure how the gobies and blenny would react to each other, but a pair of clowns should be fine, depending on which species you go with.

I know the goby species has quite a few members, some territorial and some a bit more peaceful. It does make sense they would have issues with there own kind though.

I was thinking of doing a gobiodon histrio to perch in my sps corals. A yellow watchman since they just chill in the same spot most the day and a catalina goby. I obviously need to do more research but for the most part I am only interested in the smallest fish of the goby species.

My blenny of choice would be a scooter.

Sugar Magnolia
02/01/2011, 07:45 AM
Catalina gobies need a colder water tank, so I'd skip that. For your size tank I'd suggest keeping your stocking to only four to five fish. You have to keep in mind the size the fish get when fully grown. I have a female percula clown in my 30g cube and she is about 3 1/2" and owns my entire tank. In with her I have a fridmani dottyback (very reclusive), a six line wrasse (very reclusive) and a pygmy cherub angel.

For some ideas check here - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

spicytuna
02/01/2011, 08:16 AM
Catalina gobies need a colder water tank, so I'd skip that. For your size tank I'd suggest keeping your stocking to only four to five fish. You have to keep in mind the size the fish get when fully grown. I have a female percula clown in my 30g cube and she is about 3 1/2" and owns my entire tank. In with her I have a fridmani dottyback (very reclusive), a six line wrasse (very reclusive) and a pygmy cherub angel.

For some ideas check here - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

I do currently have a 2 clowns, a dottyback and a blue tang(yes I know its wrong, attleast now I do.) Today the tank is getting broke down to rescape and the tang and dottyback are headed to new homes. I have also had a coral beauty angel and it nipped at corals pretty bad. A sixline has been on my list for awhile, but if I get a blenny I don't want 2 fish competing for pods. Thank you for the link, I didn't realize there were so many gobies that can go in nanos. I know this sounds crazy, but I wanna look at my tank and see fish everywhere, is this possible or am I beyond my means?

89Foxbody
02/01/2011, 09:50 AM
A scooter blenny isn't actually a blenny but rather a Dragonet. A 34g tank won't have sufficient ecosystem to support one most likely.

chimmike
02/01/2011, 10:14 AM
IMO 5 fish in a 34 is kinda pushing it depending on your filtration.

Maybe a pair of firefish and a pair of clowns?

Or a firefish, a midas blenny, and pair of clowns?

dzfish17
02/01/2011, 11:01 AM
I like this idea ^^^