PDA

View Full Version : First Tank For An 8 Year Old.

64Ivy
02/02/2011, 06:32 AM
My daughter has a friend whose mother always picks her up with HER younger daughter in tow. For quite awhile this little girl has been absolutely captivated with my reeftank and has now finally asked her mother for a tank of her own. She has made it clear that she wants a saltwater tank; no goldfish, no bettas, no plastic sunken pirate ships with bubbles pouring from the treasure chest. I must say that she seems unusually interested in the husbandry of the hobby and has even told her parents that she wants to do 'everything' herself. I have a meeting scheduled with her mother this weekend.

What I'm looking for is advice on the best way to go about this: Obviously, the tank has to be very low maintenance, not cost a fortune, and, above all, be visually stimulating for her. I'm thinking maybe a 20g with some zoas, a few mushrooms, one small leather or Euphyllia for movement and one small fish ('GOTTA' have a fish).

So what equipment is essential here? We've got to made this thing Youngster-Friendly as nothing is more tragic than turning someone away from the hobby at this age because of over complications. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Ntvper
02/02/2011, 06:42 AM
i commend u and my best wishes/hopes on that lil girl. wish my kids were that interested. their still young considering and love the tank and my youngest girl (4) helps daddy but loses interest after a while. I have pondered that similar situation for a long time seeing if my own kids would do that one day. I would personally go with a 20L with the usual LR, two clowns, brown n green zoas, and xenia maybe a kenya, after the usual waiting period while it cycles of course. equipment wise one koralia 1050 or smaller maybe, marineland HOB filter (yes i know but should keep water clear/clean n low maintenance for the younger), marineland pro stealth 150watt heater. its how i started long long ago. the xenia and kenya tree seem pretty hardy and almost prefer dirtier water. i dont know much in the way of mushrooms so no idea on those. and also forgot the T5HO lighting two bulb setup 1 10K and 1 actinic.

DEEC77
02/02/2011, 06:59 AM
Hey Ivy-

Maybe look into one of those bio-cube type tanks. I would also check out the nano forum for suggestions as to size and ease. Remeber small tanks can be really tricky to maintain.

~Dee~

TP123
02/02/2011, 07:03 AM
If she wants a SW tank, does it have to be a reef? What about FOWLR?

In general, that'd be easier to keep.

malawinovice
02/02/2011, 07:06 AM
I would opt for as large as a tank you can afford. I started with a 20 gallon, but soon found it hard on the maintance.

29 or 40 would be better with hob skimmer. T5 lights 4 bulbs would allow better growth, go with a used fixture.

enjoy

srusso
02/02/2011, 07:17 AM
Agreed, small tanks can have a whole range of swings. Not to mention just keeping the SG will always be a battle...

The kid has to learn to crawl before she can do the five meter dash! Explain to her that you have to learn with easier fish IE, beta... Goldfish even just tropical fish first. Full grown adults have issues keeping a nano, with jobs and money of their own. As well as the ability to read forums and scientific literature.

If you allow a tank for that little girl, be prepared to start maintaining another tank...

robs.mark
02/02/2011, 07:21 AM
Maybe one of the Red Sea systems would be a good idea for this young reefer. I think there pretty integrated. Too small a tank and shes gonna struggle with parameters.