PDA

View Full Version : Resplendent Anthias, QT question.

chasekwe
02/02/2011, 10:33 AM
Hi folks,

As soon as LiveAquaria lifts the weather advisory they will be sending me my order of Resplendent Anthias. A trio of females from the Diver's Den and an additional male from their facility in California. At my disposal is a 20g QT that has been running with display water for over 2 weeks now, and an empty 15g.

The male resplendent definitely has to go into the QT (6-8wks).

Positives/Negatives for the females I can:

QT with the male
+++ They receive a proper QT in my care.
+++ Females less likely to change gender.
--- They catch a more serious pathogen from the un-QTd Male, risking all 4.
--- Possible issues with keeping 4 anthias (~2" each) in a 20g for 6-8wks.

Females directly into Display (w or w/o dip)
+++ Already quarantined species goes into the best environment on offer.
+++ QT system is less taxed holding only the male.
+++ Females aren't exposed to possible pathogens from male.
--- No additional onsite QT.
--- Gender issues may arise while male is separated for 6-8+ wks.

Start-up additional 15g QT
+++ Everybody gets QTd with no disease sharing.
--- Gender issues may arise while male separated for 6-8+ wks.
--- Running 2 QTs is a big pain in the ***.
--- Not enough spare outlets, meaning splitting sockets even further.

In retrospect, I think I should have just settled with a group of 3 resplendents, despite wanting 4, and not ordered the male. But I'm not going to be a "monday morning reefer", decisions were made in the feverish pitch of placing the order < 10 seconds after the DD update and it is how it is.

Thanks for any help!

peasofme
02/02/2011, 12:39 PM
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/20321-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

chasekwe
02/02/2011, 12:53 PM
I fail to see how an article on crypt is useful to this discussion.

Makenna
02/02/2011, 11:16 PM
IF it were my fish, I would put all 4 in the 20g QT and go about yoru business. You may ahve to be a bit more on yoru game with the water changes, but you are likely going to have to do that with three anyhow based on the amount of feeding the anthias are going to nees to settle in.

I have ordered fish from the Ca. facility before, and although they dont go through the whole procedure like DD fish, they are still of high quality.

That is what I would do...

Bobby

chasekwe
02/03/2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks, so you don't think the male will be overly aggressive with the females in such a small space? Water changes are one thing, but that was my bigger concern.

chasekwe
02/03/2011, 09:25 PM
They come in tomorrow, looking for some final input before they arrive.

copps
02/03/2011, 10:21 PM
An excellent anthias... small... hardy... and different... they are very secretive at first... and jumpers... QTing in the 20 should be no issue, but get a bunch of small PVC cut up to give refuge to them... here is my group... I need to get new photos as they've since settled in more...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/180_resplendant_anthias_1.jpg

And the male...

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/johnjcoppolino/180_resplendant_anthias_male2.jpg

Copps

chasekwe
02/04/2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks copps and Makenna,

I'll go with both of your advice on this. They should arrive within the next couple of hours, I'm glad I've got a gameplan.

Very pretty grouping btw copps, can't wait to see mine.

Regards,
Nick

chasekwe
02/04/2011, 04:06 PM
Well they're in QT, will be about a week (assuming they eat well) before I contemplate treatments, prophylactic or otherwise.

I'm very pleased overall, the male is already part of the group as if they'd been together since forever. One of the females in the trio is definitely borderline gender change if she isn't already a sub-male. Red tips on the fins, elevated dorsal spine and the tail is darkening. Hopefully this won't cause a problem as she is approx. the same size as the male. The remaining females are about 75% the size of the other 2 and absolutely beautiful. All are truly striking IMO.

All 4 anthias were out and about exploring the QT timidly within 10 minutes of going in! Still my first go at anthias though, so we'll see. Tomorrow I'll try feeding them. I have Hikari Mysis, Spirulina Brine, Cyclopeeze, and NLS pellets ready.

aquaph8
02/04/2011, 04:58 PM
Nick throw some pics up when you get a chance. Good luck with em.

chgoblknazn
02/03/2012, 11:33 PM
How are they doing?