PDA

View Full Version : QT tank or Dip

NewbyReefer
02/02/2011, 12:03 PM
I'm looking to add a school of anthias or cardinal. I was wondering if the QT was copper treated, would I be able to push the fish through in a week or two or if I just did a FW dip before putting them in my DT? I don't want to kill anything and I don't want to spread anything to what I already have.

Green_Reefer
02/02/2011, 12:43 PM
A FW dip will accomplish nothing if your fish is already infected with something. Copper treatment may just add more stress to your fish after shipping and I believe copper will not eliminate all ailments. If you want to protect your tank you are better off following a proper QT period to monitor your new purchases and then treat as required.

Only time I shorten the QT period is when I purchase livestock held for longer than 4 weeks by the supplier and trust the quality of the supplier's tanks through first-hand experience. Then I will only QT for 4-7 days to ensure they are feeding and well adjusted. Otherwise it is a full 4 weeks in QT.

SuperNemo
02/02/2011, 01:08 PM
you can't say FW dip accomplishes nothing.

newbyreef, you have to take things slow in this hobby. a proper QT as Green mention takes a several weeks. some people treat only when there are signs of disease, some treat regardless. I treat with prazipro and cupramine regardless of whether there are signs. although it does not cover every type of disease out there, it gets most of them. i'll give you a rundown of my QT process

1 weeks observe and feed to ensure eating
2 weeks prazipro together with cupramine
2 weeks extra cupramine, no prazipro
1 weeks observe to see if any other signs of disease

i do this process regardless of where i get my fish. you can read around and do a search, everyone has different ways of doing QT. but one thing to note is that you cannot rush the process.

Green_Reefer
02/02/2011, 02:56 PM
What will a FW dip cure?

lagatbezan
02/02/2011, 04:51 PM
take it from me, qt all the fish for a min of 30 days before putting them in your display tank. if you see any sign of parasite or disease, you can safely treat the fish before infecting your whole set up. I lost ALL my 14 fish in my 180g bc of an infected angel fish that I had added which was fresh water dipped. now my tank sits without anything in it so i can end the paracite cycle and start all over.
Every new fish that i get will go through a cupramine and prazipro before going into the main display tank.

SuperNemo
02/02/2011, 06:39 PM
FW dip does not cure anything, but it does get ride of some parasite when performed. So it does something, but is not a full cure for anything.