PDA

View Full Version : Pro/con of in sump skimmer vs external

eg8r210
02/02/2011, 11:25 AM
I am getting ready to buy a skimmer and since I am new to the hobby I am getting a headache trying to decipher all the options for skimmers. I have a 210 that I expect to be heavily stocked at some point with SPS, and fish (incl anthias).

I initially was looking at getting the iTech 400 but have talked with some of the locals here and they have recommended a slew of different options. Most have internal skimmers but a buddy has an external recirculating skimmer that he loves. I am trying to figure out what would be my best option. I am not looking to get something "that will work" but rather something that is going to do a "great job".

First, what are the pro/con of internal vs external (not including the fact that external will be sitting outside the stand).

Second, the list of skimmers I am contemplating are:

iTech 400
Octopus DDNW 250 Recirculating
Octopus SRO 3000
Octopus Hurricone Cat 2

Are they all basically going to do a great job and the difference is price or are some worth the extra money?

Thanks,

eg8r210

solitude127
02/02/2011, 04:14 PM
1 Con of an external skimmer, is that if it overflows and the skimmer is outside the sump, all that skimmate will end up on the floor. That said, you can take precautions for this by adding some type of float valve what will turn off the feed pump if the skimmate gets too high in the sump. This is what I did when I used to own an external skimmer.

bandsaw2
02/02/2011, 06:51 PM
If your worryed about it over flowing just mod the cup with a tube up high on the cup and have it drain into the sump. I like the Octopus line of skimmers. I'd go with the SRO or the xp cone.

eg8r210
02/02/2011, 11:25 PM
Because I can get the Octopus DDNW 250 Recirculating for about 2/3 the retail cost would you see any reason not to get it and pick one of the others instead?

tkeracer619
02/02/2011, 11:37 PM
Yes, it is not even close in terms of performance.

Where are you finding a hurricone cat 2? That skimmer is discontinued. It has an askol pump. Was an amazing skimmer.

jmchzn123
02/02/2011, 11:57 PM
I'm a BK man/ internal mainly for space and aesthetics. My tank needs to look clean and tight w/o equip all over the place. I don't have a room somewhere else that I can pump the water to and from.I wish I could run lines in the basement or through a wall. My BK yes is retard expensive but it's 7-8 yrs old and kicking butt everyday and is ez to clean and quiet. It's only the second skimmer I ever owned and you can ask anyone on any site if they have been reef keepers for at least 5 years they probably had 2-3 skimmers for what ever reason. For me the only reason would be a bigger tank. I'm just saying