PDA

View Full Version : 1.5" drain.... ball/gate valve, yes or no?

geaux xman
02/02/2011, 12:31 PM
Seems like it would be useful for when you need to do maintenance or have the return pump off.

i'm trying to decide if i need one or not...

billdogg
02/02/2011, 01:33 PM
IMO, you should never restrict the drain - no valves, no nothing. It will not keep draining the tank when the pump is off unless you have it plumbed wrong. The only place a ball or gate valve belongs on a pump line is on the return to the tank. You can put unions in the line, but that is so you can take things apart if needed.

The Punisher
02/02/2011, 01:42 PM
Unless, of course, you're planning on running a Herbie or BeanAnimal type overflow. Then, you'd definitely need a valve, and I'd suggest a gate valve for easier tuning.

LPS_Blasto
02/02/2011, 01:48 PM
If the drain line is split and runs into 2 different areas... i.e 1 line to sump and 1 line to refugium then I think valves are almost a necessity. I have a ball valve for the main shut off on my 1.5" drain so that I can completely shut it off if I need too. I also have another ball valve where the water enters the sump so I can shut it down a bit and force some of the water to go into the fuge. Wish I had purchased a gate valve for the adjusting though. Ball valves aren't exactly "precision" valves.

The Punisher
02/02/2011, 02:01 PM
Ball valves aren't exactly "precision" valves.

Aint that the truth! They can be used for a little bit of fine tuning but gate valves are MUCH easier.

geaux xman
02/02/2011, 04:36 PM
i forgot to mention that i would have a 1" return with a ball/gate valve.

but with the valve on the drain, i wouldnt have backflow right if everything is off and i'm there to close the valve to work on the tank..

The Punisher
02/02/2011, 09:29 PM
You'd have to close the valves on the return and the drain to keep water from siphoning back down to your sump.