PDA

View Full Version : best skimmer for a 40 gal.

grandp10
02/02/2011, 04:06 PM
Hi, I would like some opinions on what people think would be the best skimmer on a 40 gal.? It is going to be a mostly sps setup and high bioload. I would prefer a surface skimmer with it. Please let me know any ideas. Thank you very much.

zenpytho
02/02/2011, 10:28 PM
in sump or hob

Felixc395
02/02/2011, 10:32 PM
Good question zenpytho. Do you have a sump or not? That makes a huge difference.

If it was in sump, you have a lot of options.

If this is a light or regular bioload, I would go with a smaller vertex in series. If it will be a heavier bioload, then a small reef octopus would do well but may be too much.

As far as HOB skimmers go, I really have no idea. All I know is that I've had a bad experience with a seaclone.... yikes!

JustDisGuy
02/02/2011, 11:51 PM
As far as HOB skimmers go, I really have no idea. All I know is that I've had a bad experience with a seaclone.... yikes!

Hey - I don't wanna threadjack, but I'm curious about your 'bad experience'? I am just getting my tank set up, and I bought a SeaClone skimmer. I don't have the receipt anymore, but I've seen quite a few negative comments about them since I started reading the various forums.

Saltwatercoral2
02/03/2011, 02:53 AM
you should find a receipt and return that seaclone ASAP!

Saltwatercoral2
02/03/2011, 02:54 AM
I had good experience with my Aqua C Remora skimmer, i actually owned 2 of them

grandp10
02/03/2011, 05:07 AM
Sorry I thought I mentioned hang on.

zenpytho
02/03/2011, 07:34 AM
aqua c remora is very good hob dont even look at bakpaks or seaclone i have had several of both and waste of time remora was most reliable and worked great for me but back to cpr i do have one of their hang on fuge skimmer combos and it actually works pretty good way better then just thier skimmer lol another good one is an aqua euro needle but not sure if they make them anymore i havent used the octopus or vertex styles

mistaflicksta
02/03/2011, 08:04 AM
octopus bh 300 dual HOB skimmer, the trick is to only use one pump, that will keep bubbles from reaching the Display tank

kzooreefer
02/03/2011, 10:48 AM
The CPR Bak-Pak 2 will only work good if you do a limewood airstone mod to it, thats what I had to do to get it to skim decently. I upgraded to the Eshopps PSK-75H a year ago and its skimming good but can be very noisy and difficult to get started (cheap pump). It doesn't have a self priming pump, but the pump is located outside the tank so all you see is the inlet tube, which was a big plus for me. The Remora I've heard good things about and I almost bought that but the pump is still located inside the tank like the Bak-Pak so thats why I went with the Eshopps. For a 40 g you might need the Eshopps PSK-100H, a little larger HOB. I've had good luck buying from drsfosterandsmith as they have a 30 day guarantee on electrical devices which has saved me a number of times.

KafudaFish
02/03/2011, 11:04 AM
I would find Mojo's skimmer Q and A thread and start looking. It has numerous posts by him and others that will help you find what will best fit your needs.

coralreefdoc
02/03/2011, 11:26 AM
For an HOB skimmer I would suggest/look into the Reef Octopus HB 2000 or 1000. Personally, the 2000 is worth the extra $20-30 as it includes a much larger pump and is a little more heavy duty, imo. I was using a HB 2000 on a 20G long nano reef for 3-5 months in late 2010 and it was a beast !

Actually, after going to a sump recently, and therefore switching to an in sump skimmer, I have that basically new HB 2000 in the original box just collecting dust. If you are interested you can have it for $150 shipped, I paid $210 in August of last year and only used it for about 4 months as I made that aforementioned switch in December 2010.

Pics after setup:

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc447/CoralReefDoc/230.jpg

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc447/CoralReefDoc/230.jpg

Either way, this is one of the best, if not the best HOB skimmers on the market and would work wonders on a 40G, highly recommended. Much better than AquaC Remora, etc. in this class for the same price

zenpytho
02/03/2011, 02:55 PM
that is a beast for hob

etomasko
02/03/2011, 03:00 PM
Hey - I don't wanna threadjack, but I'm curious about your 'bad experience'? I am just getting my tank set up, and I bought a SeaClone skimmer. I don't have the receipt anymore, but I've seen quite a few negative comments about them since I started reading the various forums.

dont return it make it a refugium....i made it one works great....just remove o ring that holds inside chamber in and whalah self contained fuge...g2g...

ATinPGH
02/03/2011, 03:19 PM
+1 for Octopus. I just put a HOB Octopus on my 40 gallon and its pulling a lot of crud out of water that looked crystal clear.

grandp10
02/03/2011, 07:59 PM
What would be better a Warner Marine (Aquamaxx) or Deltec mce3000?

coralreefdoc
02/05/2011, 01:28 AM
Personally, I would go with the Reef Octopus HB 1000 or 2000, whether you buy my 2000 or not, if youre looking for a quality HOB skimmer. PM me if interested, good luck !

phaedrus1
02/05/2011, 08:04 AM
I have been running an Aquamaxx on a 36 for 5 months and very happy with it. Good load of skimate and easy to maintain. Also good build quality.

allsps40
02/05/2011, 08:27 AM
The Sea Clone is not worth its weight in dog poop. Take it back and get a real skimmer. For my 40B I have a sump and use an Octopus NW110.

username in use
02/05/2011, 09:15 AM
You say you have sps dominant with a high bioload. In all seriousness, you should be looking to add a sump, it will make your life so much easier, especially trying to grow sps with a high bioload. The added volume and room for a fuge and a carbon reactor will probably do more for you than a skimmer will. Thats not to say don't get a skimmer, but you need to be realistic about what you expect from it.