PDA

View Full Version : lighting

walleyebum
02/02/2011, 05:58 PM
what types of lighting should i use for 220 gallon tank. I had two 6 tek t5 lights on it and it seemed that it wouldnt reach the bottom of the tank well. The tank is 24in deep

Fish_wiz2
02/02/2011, 07:07 PM
There are many choices, the easiest i can see is adding more bulbs to your setup. I am not sure if you can fit it, but maybe and 8 bulb setup per side. If not, 3 250 watt or 400 watt metal halides in a good reflector like lumenbrights or lumenarcs would also work. Hope that helps, Wiz ;)

walleyebum
02/02/2011, 07:30 PM
should i just go to metal hallights or what?

david1983
02/02/2011, 07:50 PM
Do you have a budget?Why not look into led setup?

walleyebum
02/02/2011, 08:09 PM
And whats the best MH bulbs?

walleyebum
02/02/2011, 08:10 PM
Led would be so expensive wouldnt it?

Palting
02/02/2011, 08:55 PM
Lots of options out there. LED's are the hot thing, but AFAIK, parameters and standards have yet to be standardized, so products and results can be very variable.

I planned for a 24" deep tank and ordered a fixture with 150 watt MH's. Due to "things, I ended up instead with a 27" deep tank. I was worried the 150W would be too weak.

Should not have worried. I have acros growing like wild fire, and a clam sitting on the substrate. In fact, I bought a stylophora, and the light was too much even at the substrate and had to shade it. I grow zoas and brains on the substrate and in the open, thigns that don't like as much light, and sps on the mid and top tier.

So, IME, a 150W MH should serve you well to help you keep a good variety of coral with appropriate placement.

Felixc395
02/02/2011, 11:18 PM
Lots of options out there. LED's are the hot thing, but AFAIK, parameters and standards have yet to be standardized, so products and results can be very variable.

I planned for a 24" deep tank and ordered a fixture with 150 watt MH's. Due to "things, I ended up instead with a 27" deep tank. I was worried the 150W would be too weak.

Should not have worried. I have acros growing like wild fire, and a clam sitting on the substrate. In fact, I bought a stylophora, and the light was too much even at the substrate and had to shade it. I grow zoas and brains on the substrate and in the open, thigns that don't like as much light, and sps on the mid and top tier.

So, IME, a 150W MH should serve you well to help you keep a good variety of coral with appropriate placement.

Wow, interesting. What 150 watt bulbs are you using?!

I think adding an extra two bulbs or each of your Tek fixtures will work well and be the easiest as well as cheapest way to go.