PDA

View Full Version : Tired of the MAG 9.5, want to go external

Reefjeeper
02/02/2011, 08:13 PM
So from reading through old posts and such I find that people seem to like the ultra quiet poseidon or velocity pumps. I can't seem to figure out where to buy them(everywhere seems to unavailable?) and which one I should get OR if I should go a totally different route.

I'm looking at replacing a MAG 9.5, the tank is a 72G bow.

Any and all help is, as always, greatly apprechiated.

Ryan

Reefjeeper
02/03/2011, 02:53 PM
anyone? am I to take silence to mean that this pump is junk?

chuckreef
02/03/2011, 03:13 PM
I have a t4, its fine.
However, today I'd get a tunze silence and use it internal.

cakemanPA
02/03/2011, 03:46 PM
I am switching my mag9 out for a Water Blaster hy5000. I was to stay with a submersible pump and love my hy7000 in my reef tank.

bandsaw2
02/03/2011, 06:13 PM
I'm switching out a mag with a water blaster hy3000. Half the wattage. Plus less heat.

blackx-runner
02/03/2011, 06:38 PM
have you looked at eheim? I believe they can be run internal or external. I'm planning on using one for my 120 build.

ricksreef
02/03/2011, 09:35 PM
I'm running the ehiem 1262 external for a couple of years now on my 75 and have been very happy with it. I did have one problem thou the o-ring had a slight leak after some maintenance found a new one at Ace industrial hardware (not a bad leak but still a leak) and back up and running for a couple more years
i would recommend their pumps

James77
02/03/2011, 09:43 PM
What are you looking to get for flow out of the pump?

The velocity 1 and 3 are more pressure rated, and the 2 and 4 are more flow based, although they both hold very well to head. I used to use a t4 as a cellar return, and it rivaled a Reeflo Tarpon. They are water cooled external pumps, which is why they are silent, they will add about the same heat as an internal. They are the absolute quietest pumps I have ever used.....dead silent. They are very reliable as well.

MarineDepot carries them. You can find other stores as well if you google Poseidon( or velocity) titanium pumps.

James77
02/03/2011, 09:47 PM
Hmmm, MD no longer carries them?? Well that stinks.

SeaQuestMarine has them, I would search the vendor experiences, as I have never dealt with them......

http://www.seaquestmarine.com/Velocity_Pumps_s/68.htm

Reefjeeper
02/04/2011, 08:48 PM
Cakeman and Bandsaw, internal would be nice since under a bowfront you don't have very much space. How quiet are the HY's? and what size threaded output do they have?

James, I'm looking for about the same flow or maybe a bit more than the mag 9.5. The head is about 5 feet off the ground now so i would like a bit more flow than the 9.5 since i had the tank top at about 4 feet before. I have no idea which pump to choose(pressure or flow) but I would think i would want flow right? if so, which one?

this adds many ideas for me. I like the idea of the Reefoct. HY's due to being new tech and all, but then again, still a bit worried about reliability since they are so new. The Poseidon/Velocity pumps are super quiet and thats what I'm looking for but I'm also worried about cost to run(still probably cheaper than the mag), heat etc.

What do you all think?

Reefjeeper
02/04/2011, 08:49 PM
Also, I'm wondering why MD doesn't carry them anymore?

Cj923
02/04/2011, 08:50 PM
I usually hear good things about Mag pumps, only drawback is it uses more watts

Cj923
02/04/2011, 08:51 PM
Have u tried drsfosterandsmith??

cakemanPA
02/04/2011, 10:42 PM
The hy5000 is 1373GPH / 60W 1.25" input 1" output

MadBeach79
02/05/2011, 06:23 AM
try champion lighting for the velocity pumps, under the blueline brand.

Chris27
02/05/2011, 07:15 AM
I'm a firm believer in Reeflo pumps, they are reliable, quiet and light on the power consumption. The snapper may be a little large for your system if used solely for a return pump, but plumbing it into a manifold to supply things like media reactors, a fuge, rdsb, skimmer, etc.. may slow it down enough for you.

phaedrus1
02/05/2011, 08:47 AM
I thought there was a heat transfer issue with the Velocity Pumps... Very quiet, but the design will add excess heat to the tank which on the typical setup with Halides etc. can be a problem unless running a chiller.

ostrow
02/05/2011, 09:00 AM
Or, a Panworld 40 (I think). Dead quiet, efficient, and reliable as can be.

Reefjeeper
02/06/2011, 02:03 PM
How quiet is the new Reef Octopus HY series? so far my final two choices that I'm thinking about are the HY series and the Velocity. I'm not sure which velocity I should choose yet either but it all depends on how quiet the RO is.

James77
02/06/2011, 02:18 PM
James, I'm looking for about the same flow or maybe a bit more than the mag 9.5. The head is about 5 feet off the ground now so i would like a bit more flow than the 9.5 since i had the tank top at about 4 feet before. I have no idea which pump to choose(pressure or flow) but I would think i would want flow right? if so, which one?
The Poseidon/Velocity pumps are super quiet and thats what I'm looking for but I'm also worried about cost to run(still probably cheaper than the mag), heat etc.

What do you all think?

The Velocity would put out about 650 gph at 5' head. It uses 98 watts and the Mag uses 93.....but those are at 0' head Im sure....but they are similar. Heat would be about the same between the 2. The Velocity 1 and 3 are supposedly pressure, but the "flow" based ones seem to put out more at higher heads :confused:.

I've used Eheim, water blaster, Mag 2-7-9-18, Quiet Ones, Sicce Syncra, Reeflo, and Velocities as return pumps. Number one for silence is hands down the Velocity. Eheim is a fairly siatant 2nd, the Reeflo was loud IMO- maybe it had a faulty fan? but I could hear the thing anywhere in my basement. Ive also used Darts as skimmer pumps and find it odd that anyone could consider them silent.

If you are looking for more efficency and less heat than the Mag, then the Velocity are not for you.....They are THE pump to have if you want zero noise from a pump. I am switching back to a Velocity 2 from a Sicce silent becuase of the hum of the Sicce. I am redoing my entire sump setup just for the silence...I need it :).

James77
02/06/2011, 02:22 PM
Also, I'm wondering why MD doesn't carry them anymore?

Not sure, i might fire off an email out of curiousity and buy a few if they are truly being discontinued. i would imagine it is because they have a bad rap at heating up the water. They will more than a typical fan cooled external, since there is no fan to cool it....but watt for watt, they will heat the water no more than an internal of the same wattage, it is an impossibility for it to add more than the internal.