PDA

View Full Version : newbie alge question

falonchristie
02/04/2011, 08:29 AM
137863I have like a slime web like part on some rock added into my tank about a 2 weeks ago that I have just noticed. There is a pic of it below. does anyone know what this is and is it good or bad? Also there is one rock in my tank with green growing on it and one rock with splotches of brown. I just wanted to know is this a good think or should i do something to take it off.

griss
02/04/2011, 09:59 AM
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it appears to be cyanobacteria. If that is the case, see my post in this thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1970925

falonchristie
02/04/2011, 11:45 AM
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it appears to be cyanobacteria. If that is the case, see my post in this thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1970925

okay so I should just try doing a water change. I do one every week and today will be the day I am supposed to do one anyways. I have just started my tank and have the regular pump/filter that came with the tank. its been set up about 2 months now and i have never noticed a spike in anything. I used live sand and rock from individuals tanks along with some dry lace rock. is this also normal when my tank is new and cycling? or should my cyle process be finished by now. Sorry for so many questions but i dont know to much. I saw these powerhead things and wondered if that was something i should have . I do not have a sump so I didnt know if that went with it or if the powerheads are something that i should add right now or not??

griss
02/04/2011, 11:51 AM
Sorry, I didn't see how new your tank was. Yes, this is normal for a new tank. It's part of the cycle. It's hard to put an exact timeline on the cycle as live rock and live sand can vary in the nutrients they bring into your tank.

Power heads are submersible pumps that you can put into your tank to create waterflow in the tank. Many people use them on a wavemaker to create a varying flow in order to simulate wave action in their tank. I recommed having powerheads in tanks as it keep detritus in suspension to be removed by filters and also to provide the proper flow needed for corals.

You mention a pump/filter that came with the tank. Can you tell us what brand and type of filter it is?