PDA

View Full Version : Back into the hobby

katspaw
02/04/2011, 09:28 AM
Hi Everyone and thank you for reading my post. I was in the hobby for a number of years and started NJRC many years ago. I recently returned to the hobby and got a 50 gallon that was established, with a 100 gallon total volume system. It came with a snowflake eel and I would love to get rid of it. Recently I got another tank...the Zero Edge 33, with a sump/refugium in the cabinet. I want this to be a coral tank and it has 175 halide over it. I was thinking to put a couple of fish in as well. It is a 53 gallon total volume system at this point. I am thinking about 3 fish, thou I love tangs, I don't think they would be happy in such a small tank. Would love suggestions as to which fish would be good in such a small tank. I was thinking possibly a clown fish, maybe a scooter blenny, and maybe a wrasse. but if memory serves me right the wrasse or a manderian need a well established tank before adding. I have noticed a lot has changed in the almost ten years that I have been out of the hobby and would like recommendations as to a correct way to go. Thank you to all that reply.

Tracey

katspaw
02/04/2011, 04:51 PM
wow, not one comment!!

iwishtofish
02/04/2011, 05:03 PM
Just posted at a non-peak time - happens to me all the time! :)

Welcome back to the hobby! The small fish you mentioned (clown, goby) would be quite suitable for a tank that size. The scooter blenny and mandarin, however, would need not only an established tank (as you mentioned), but one with a large enough amount of live rock and a refugium to support a sustainable pod population. It's questionable that this tank would be large enough to take a chance on that...additionally, such fish would not likely do well with other animals that would compete for this "natural" food.

Edit: Oh, how about an equipment list for your project, and folks can give you some advice (yea, or nay) on that?

phaedrus1
02/04/2011, 05:39 PM
I have a 36 with an Exquisite Wrasse, Six Line Wrasse and Flame angel, along with clams, bloodshrimp, and assorted corals and they are a hoot to watch. They get along in their competitive little fashion, but no damage to each other or the reef. Very colorful and active.

katspaw
02/04/2011, 10:26 PM
The whole setup came pretty complete. The sump has a built-in refugium. It is basically three sections first section has the protein skimmer, then the water flows into the refugium, from there the third section where there are hookup got a nurse tank and an area for a nurse tank. The lighting system is a 175 mh that is on a light tree stand.

dzfish17
02/04/2011, 11:25 PM
Possibly a firefish, royal gramma, chromis, or a yellowtail damsel to name a few. I know most people dont like damsels but the YT is not that aggressive.

iwishtofish
02/05/2011, 09:11 AM
The whole setup came pretty complete. The sump has a built-in refugium. It is basically three sections first section has the protein skimmer, then the water flows into the refugium, from there the third section where there are hookup got a nurse tank and an area for a nurse tank. The lighting system is a 175 mh that is on a light tree stand.

Tracey, not trying to be a pest, but are you able to display a series of photos (using Photobucket is easiest, IMO), particularly of the sump?

A few questions, if you don't mind:

* In the third section of the sump, is the return pump housed there? Are there any bubble trap baffles prior to this section? Can you clarify what you mean by hookups and a nurse tank?

* What kind of protein skimmer came with the setup?

* What kind of corals do you plan to keep?

* What kind/size powerheads are there for circulation?

* Did a bulb come with the MH fixture? Is it new, or does it need replacing?

* What are your plans for live rock? Sand?

katspaw
02/05/2011, 11:48 AM
well let's see if I can remember how to post things here. This is picture of my sump
http://www.zeroedgeaquarium.com/storage/ZS2full.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1294423206045

Sorry dude autocorrect strikes again, lol it is a hook up to a ATO or in the old days Nurse tank or dosing tank.
Hmmm I have not IDed the protein skimmer and can't find the skimmers on Zero Edge's site..so will ask Patrick from AF tomorrow
What type of corals, sps, lps and soft
my last tank was big and I had some very nice show pieces in it. My purple Seriataporia from Dr. Tim Therman was really huge ( bigger than a soft ball) when I lost the system. I had a staghorn that was about 12 inches high. And I would love to have a stylophora again, hence my user name.
The system is newly installed, just got the water , sand and salt in it last night....There are four heads that come out of the bottom of the tank that I can direct into any area I need.
The MH is brand new, this fixture was adapted to fit the light tree that the system comes with.
I have live sand in the tank now and I will be getting about 30 lbs of live rock possibly tomorrow if my parameters are okay...I have a RO/DI system that I used to fill the tank with.

iwishtofish
02/05/2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the pic and additional info. Say, why not add the live rock now (well, tomorrow), and cycle the tank with both it and the sand?

katspaw
02/06/2011, 11:25 AM
Iwishtofish,
Already done. I checked my parameters last night and will do so every couple of days as the only thing in the tank is live rock and live sand. I will start with a few marine plants that are to my liking, then go from there. I like to have my tank mapped out as to what will go into it before it is actually put in the tank. And I will stick to the list. Thankfully I have done this before and know that impulse buys are the wrong way to go. I will get a nice clean up crew. some nice corals and a few fish. But first I will sit and watch my tanks for the weeks required to cycle it properly as not to kill anything.

iwishtofish
02/07/2011, 08:02 AM
Pictures any time! :)

You planning on adding the macroalgae to the refugium, or the display?

Palting
02/07/2011, 08:11 AM
Nice set-up. How about a purple firefish? She's one of my favorites among the fish in my tank, and she's always looking out to the front.
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/Kalawing/Aquarium/IMG_0405c.jpg

Mr.Maska
02/07/2011, 11:56 AM
welcome back! we like pictures:)

eja99
02/07/2011, 12:16 PM
Welcome back, I am in the same boat (sort of). I took off several years and have been running a 34 gallon reef since March 2009.

I've found that blennies (starry, midas, algae) are great "small tank" fish. In a 50 you could probably add 2.

I'm also a huge fan of my six line wrasse. I had a flat worm out break when I first started my tank (didn't dip a frag) and my sixline nuked them all in a matter of days.