PDA

View Full Version : NEWB - Volitan Lion and White Spotted Grouper no good??

55gnewb
02/04/2011, 09:53 AM
hey guys im a newb around salt water. so my question is i bought a white spotted grouper (about 4inch) and my lionfish (a little over 3 inch) seems to be trying to eat/bite him quite often. Why would he be doing this?

Tank info
55g, Cascaded 1200 filter, Aqua Clear 70 powerhead, Lionfish, Grouper, Baby Snoflake Eel, and a damsel(i know will be eaten soon) about 20lbs of live rock.
Tank has been running for about a month and a half after the cycle ended.

olemiss reb
02/04/2011, 10:11 AM
seems to be trying to eat/bite him quite often. Why would he be doing this?

\

What type of lion? It is trying to eat the grouper. Lions will try to eat fish equal to their size, often killing themselves in the process. the grouper or lion is eventually going to eat the other one. Who is eaten first depends on your species of lion.

ashtree68
02/04/2011, 10:30 AM
He says volitan in his header, if that's the case they're both going to out grow a 55 quickly. I had a volitan in my 90, and thought that I would be okay for about a year or so, he out grew it in about 4-5 months, and is now happily residing in a 125. They get big, fast!

Sorry I can't be more help on why he's biting your grouper, I would agree with the above and say he's trying to eat him.

olemiss reb
02/04/2011, 11:26 AM
He says volitan in his header

Not sure how I missed that.

No experience with that specific grouper but volitans grow large insanely quick. Unless the grouper grows as quick, it's dinner. They will both outgrow a 55

namxas
02/04/2011, 11:39 AM
How long have you had both fish? Was the lion the first fish? Does your decor allow both fish ample hiding space?

55gnewb
02/06/2011, 02:59 PM
Sorry for the delay i was busy with the tanks and dealing with this problem.

He says volitan in his header, if that's the case they're both going to out grow a 55 quickly. I had a volitan in my 90, and thought that I would be okay for about a year or so, he out grew it in about 4-5 months, and is now happily residing in a 125. They get big, fast!

Sorry I can't be more help on why he's biting your grouper, I would agree with the above and say he's trying to eat him.

I brought him to the lfs :( i couldnt watch it anymore. As for the Lionfish if he gets to big for the tank my budy has a 180 and he said he would take him if i dont get my 200+ running by then.

How long have you had both fish? Was the lion the first fish? Does your decor allow both fish ample hiding space?

Ive had the lion fish for about a month and a half. The grouper was just intoduced. I think the lionfish didnt like him being in his space. i dont have much rock so i think it was a territory thing.

namxas
02/07/2011, 11:18 AM
Try moving your rockwork around or adding some. What you may be seeing is a lack of hiding spots.