PDA

View Full Version : Marineland LED reef capable lighting?

Twisted
02/04/2011, 01:20 PM
Curious as to peoples thoughts on this light fixture might be.

I was in need of lighting for a 12 gallon nano tank recently, when my ballast fried, and weighing my options it, I found that this light system would be the most practical due to my time constraint, and lighting needs.

Looking at the Marineland provided statistics this light does like 130 par at 10 inches or 12 inches. My tank is about 12 inches from the light fixture to the sand bed.

So in theory I should be able to maintain SPS in this tank? Or am I expecting too much?

rfdoc
02/04/2011, 01:38 PM
tagging along

zenpytho
02/04/2011, 04:25 PM
imo i would say maintain maybe but i dont think youll get the color or growth u would like to
have u checked out any of the led retros from nanotuners or rapid led that is what i would go with

Twisted
02/04/2011, 09:10 PM
I looked into a lot of the retro kits, and I looked at a lot of the other LED fixtures out there, I was just in a tight spot time wise, and this one was the best available to me.

This tank is a temporary tank until I get my big tank up, then it will most likely stay up as my QT tank. So I think the lights might do well for a QT. I might even be suprised once I get something in it to see how well they do.

Felixc395
02/04/2011, 10:38 PM
For a QT, I think it would be fine. For a display, not so much. Even though your tank is small, those 1 watt LED's are still inefficient. And 100 PAR won't help you out at all.

atreis
02/05/2011, 07:09 AM
I use a pair of these as supplemental lighting. The color is very nice (14K-ish - with purple - really makes things pop nicely), and I love the shimmer from the LEDs. (My primary lighting is an ATI T-5 fixture.) That said, they don't put out enough to replace my primary fixture.

My tank is shallow (just 17"), and all of my lights sit directly on top of the aquarium bracing, only about an inch or so from the top of the water. The LED lights penetrate okay to the bottom. They don't spread evenly though (there are light and dark patches on the bottom if I turn off my main lighting). I think the LEDs are pretty narrowly focussed - probably meant to be mounted higher than I have them.

Aesthetically the lights are very nice. The housing is VERY thin and made out of alluminum. The back side is also the heat sink (it's ridged, but not deeply) and gets fairly warm. They don't use a fan.

Overall, I'm happy because the fixtures work really well for what I bought them for. But if you're keeping SPS or other light-demanding species they likely are not going to provide enough light to be your only lighting source. They'd be great as the only lighting on a FOWLR.