PDA

View Full Version : Help sump

reefer73
02/05/2011, 09:39 AM
Hey all after doing some research on sumps for the last 2 hrs i think im more confused than I was before I started. Im going to be running a INS80 skimmer from Reef Dynamics that requires a 6.5 water level. I have a 20 long sump that I bought used and the first chamber is 11 inches tall and I don't think I have enough room to raise the skimmer up before it hits the bottom of my stand. So question is how do I setup my sump it will have to Drain/skimmer/Refug/return because the drain line is already in place.

Reefadict
02/05/2011, 10:08 AM
I cant say to be 100% accurate, but most in-sump skimmers operate best in 7-10 inches of water. The 6.5" may be the minimum. What is the minimum water level that your sump operates at?

reefer73
02/05/2011, 10:14 AM
right now its about 11 inches. But I really want to take the existing baffles out and completely redesign the sump. I just don't know how high to make the first baffle where the drain and the skimmer will be. Does the first baffle determine the height throughout the sump? Then you have to adjust your skimmer to the optimal height it runs at?

Reefadict
02/05/2011, 10:29 AM
If you want baffles to create a seperation between the drain section, refugium, and the return section then you have to set the height of the final baffle between the refugium and the return pump to the minimum required height, this height has to be determined by you.

Reefadict
02/05/2011, 10:42 AM
Here is some pics of mine. The sump is a Trigger systems Ruby sump 30" long. It is baffled to maintain a water level of 10" If you can see in the pics, due to the baffles the water level in the drain chamber and refugium chamber is constant. The water in the return chamber is a little lower and that is due to evaporation which I will replenish to the minimum level of 10". So with this setup, the first two chambers always maintain the minimum water level. Its only the return chamber that drops in level due to evaporation.