PDA

View Full Version : Inverts from florida

tonymanz412
02/05/2011, 12:00 PM
Every February I travel to Indian Rocks Beach Florida, and every year we spot at least one baby octopus, many fighting conch, and some small assorted crabs. I am new to this hobby as of last April, but have gone from 2 small 10 gallons up to a single 30 gallon. I was just wondering if there is a way to clean these inverts if I wish to bring some home. My friend has told me to isolate the new inverts in a tank with a scarlet cleaner shrimp, which will clean them of any diseases. I am wondering if this will work and if I should take any other precautions to prevent some disease from spreading into my tank. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

Peter T
02/05/2011, 02:20 PM
Hi tony,

Glad to see another Florida member. I am not too sure on using a cleaner shrimp for QT methods on inverts. I collect crabs and snails quite often for my mantis shrimps and just drop them in the tanks. Here is a webpage on Florida collection regulations regarding ornamental fish and inverts.

http://myfwc.com/rulesandregs/Saltwater_Regulations_recharvestmls.htm

The fines for violation of the laws are pretty harsh here haha.

tonymanz412
02/05/2011, 02:48 PM
So pretty much I can only bring home some select animals. Do you know if it is safe to just drop the inverts right in? Like if I'm planning to try and keep them alive, will they spread diseases, if so are there ways to prevent this. But thanks for telling me what I can and can't collect.

Peter T
02/05/2011, 02:59 PM
On the safe side, it is a good idea to quarantine everything you plan to add to tank. They can spread diseases, algae spores, and eggs that hitchhike on the shells. Marine ich does not infest inverts but at one cycle in their life they may end up hitchhiking on the shells you may collect and add to the tank.

mscarpena
02/05/2011, 05:02 PM
It always a risk, but so is buying something for your LFS or anywhere.

peasofme
02/06/2011, 09:44 AM
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/20321-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

BEEKER1
02/06/2011, 09:50 AM
Here is another way to look at it. Most LFS stores in my area get stuff from local divers that do this to make a living. The LFS gets it and puts them straight in the tanks. You walk in the door as a customer and buy the snails and crabs and put them in your tank. You don't know if they were in the LFS for 6 weeks or 6 minutes before you purchased them. So is there a difference in you taking them from the ocean and straight into your tank?