PDA

View Full Version : Aqua c 1000 protien skimmer

999SCUBA
02/05/2011, 12:08 PM
I was looking at the Aqua C 1000 skimmer and am about sure that this is what I want but due to not using many different skimmers in the past am uneasy spending $700 without some feedback. I called the company yesterday and of course they tell me theirs is a great skimmer, no problems, etc... My tank is the recently posted 500 gallon tank in the agressive forum. Currently it is just an agressive tank but in the next months it may get my reef tank added to it. The reef tank is 400 gallons system with 250 display tank. 20 fish light stock of corals manyly soft stuff. 700lbs live rock. The skimmer I am using on that tank is a reef octopuss that is rated for 250 gallons. I picked it up used. It seems to do the job thus far and I have boosted the performance on it buy using a Mag 500 pump that first is pushed through a Aqua water sterilizer. The sump on the reef is 180 gallons that is close to full. My concern with the 1000 is the listed pumps on Aqua C's site. All are external. The recomended pump is an Iwaki 70. I use this pump on the reef tank and it is on the quiet side but it is in the fish room. If I stand beside the pump when running it makes more noise than I would like it too. I dont want that much noise in the living room. As you can see in the Pic's the stand is an open stand, no cabinet. I asked Aqua C about using a Mag Drive pump. They told me that they use to recommend Mag 24's but they are not made any more. GOOD NEWS becouse I have 2 Mag 24's and am only using one. It's what I am using for the main return pump on the big tank and can live with this level of noise.

I am aware of the posts that talk about clogging of the air intake, so as soon as I get the skimmer I will perform the mod to the intake to protect it.

Anyone else using the Mag 24 on this skimmer.?

I plan on using the skimmer external, I have not decided to raise it to water fall ito the sump or drill a bulkhead in the side of the sump. Please advise. I have the room to raise it.

dahenley
02/05/2011, 12:53 PM
there is an AquaC thread in the equipment forum.
there are a few people that have a 1000

I think most people stay away from the mag pumps because they are more of a flow verses a pressure pump. so you may not get the performance of a external pump...
also, i know people with blueline 55,70 and 100s that are super quiet. but then again, i have a used 70 that is loud... Iwake and panworld pumps are decently quiet. (when new) so its more of a personal choice for you..