PDA

View Full Version : Which Tunze skimmer?

DiscusHeckel
02/05/2011, 12:09 PM
Hi all,

I will soon be getting a 260-litre tank (68 gallon) with sump. The volume mentioned will be after displacement of LR and equipment.

I can't decide which Tunze skimmer to get. Can you please advice? I have shortlisted Tunze DOC 9011 and Tunze 9410.

I will stock my tank with mainly SPS corals and a few LPS corals. The tank will be moderately stocked with fish initially, but they will be well fed during the day. The sump will have refugium in it full of chaeto.

Based on my research both skimmers are overkill for this set up. Furthermore, I have two concerns. First, since both skimmers are rated quite large for my tank, will I get good foam production even if I feed fish heavily. Second, I read that Tunze 9410 is quite noisy despite its new body. Some people complained about the noise of the pump as well as rattling noise from the collection cup.

I hope you can help.

Thanks in anticipation

rvitko
02/07/2011, 10:27 AM
The 9410 is substantially stronger, I am not sure noise is a common issue, I get periodic complaints but the usual issue is simple, either the bushing at the bottom of the pump has come loose or the rubber around it is torn. On some older models cup vibration was an issue and this seemed to be a bigger issue with 50Hz in Europe. On the newest ones the cup is pretty tight and doesn't have much room to move but the lid might vibrate, again, a bigger issue on 50Hz from what I have read.

The 9011 is quieter but the 9410 is at least 20% stronger. I don't feel they are too large, I think for an SPS or mixed ref tank I would size a 9011 at 120-140 gallons and a 9410 at 120-180 gallons, it is overkill but not the huge overkill the raw numbers would make you believe, keep in mind the base rating is essentially for a fish only and we recommend deducting 60-70% of that rating for a tank focused on SPS.

DiscusHeckel
02/09/2011, 04:42 PM
Thank you Roger.

Aquadepot
02/10/2011, 10:03 AM
We have had very positive feed back from customers on the 9410 no noise issues to date, with very good foam production. As Roger said at least 20% more against the 9011

Graeme