PDA

View Full Version : military reefers club

Pages : [1] 2 3

sucker_fish
02/05/2011, 12:32 PM
I am in the military and an avid reefer, one problem that I have is moving and then trying to locate the local (and sometimes not so local) reef clubs. Just an idea but I know a few people just on my installation that are into reefs and thought maybe it would be cool to start a military reefers club that would not only cater to and bring military reefers together but also work hand in hand with local reef clubs where available. Just curious for feedback at this point so let me know what you think.:)

alexwbush
02/05/2011, 03:27 PM
I am military also, but this is the first time in the last 4 years that I've been able to stay home for longer than 3 months... so I am getting setup again. But I am going to try to stay small scale because I will probably only be in this situation for another 18 months until I have to move and things get busy again.

Saldebo
02/05/2011, 03:35 PM
Seems like a great idea.

almostazoo
02/05/2011, 05:57 PM
my wife and I are both mil and think that would be a helpfull tool. I am currently feeling out my area trying to establish good conections in phx

sucker_fish
02/05/2011, 09:04 PM
thats exactly the situations I would like to address, who takes care of tanks when a deployment comes up, maybe get together with other military and work out some tank sitting to help each other out etc. I know for me personally it has been a challenge tearing down tanks and selling off everything for half what it cost just to turn around again and do it all over again later.

BRAVO1RESQ
02/05/2011, 09:34 PM
I like the idea as I am military as well. I've done multiple teardowns, give aways, selling equipment and taking up valuable space in the moving trucks trying to save other equipment...some of which has been broken in transit.

Kevin

reeftanknewbie
02/05/2011, 09:37 PM
I am a veteran in PA and would be honored to participate....

Tampico96
02/05/2011, 10:03 PM
I'm another tank sitter. My brother is currently in Iraq and he drove his 29 here for me to watch. With all of the moving, I think he settled on a small tank bacause is can be fairly easily moved with buckets. He drove it up from Georgia to south central Pa. Tore down one evening and set up here the next morning.

bif24701
02/05/2011, 10:23 PM
Sweet! I am in AZ and I will be gone 90 days TDY here soon. I have to teach my wife how to take care of the tank while I am away. I hope she pays attention.....

sucker_fish
02/06/2011, 08:01 PM
well I was thinking...if we can get a large enough network of miilitary reefers together and get an organization going that would be great, then hopefully working hand in hand with the local reef club members we would have plenty tank sitters to either watch our tanks for us or advise our significant others who are attempting to take care of our tanks while we are away...Now we just need to come up with a really cool name..hehe

mistaflicksta
02/06/2011, 10:15 PM
Im another Vet that went through the same tear down and sell routine for 8 years, I know how it feels to finally get a tank going and then having to sell it all because you have to ship out. I am curently in the FT BLISS area and if any of you are out this way I will be glad to help out.

stiltman
02/06/2011, 10:21 PM
I'm a vet, in CT. Not too many active duty near me. But if there I anything I can do to help out, let me know.

Peter T
02/06/2011, 10:31 PM
Glad to see vets here. For a little bit I thought I was one of the few military (reserve Drill sergeant now) that had an interests in reef tanks. If anyone needs help in my area (Jacksonville, FL), let me know. I may one day ask for a favor when I have a mobilization to train troops.

CueMusic
02/06/2011, 10:45 PM
I am a Veteran and would love to be involved. Especially if someone locally gets deployed I would love to assist so they wouldn't lose their beloved reef tank.

katarina
02/06/2011, 11:10 PM
Glad to see vets here. For a little bit I thought I was one of the few military (reserve Drill sergeant now) that had an interests in reef tanks. If anyone needs help in my area (Jacksonville, FL), let me know. I may one day ask for a favor when I have a mobilization to train troops.

I am also in Jacksonville FL. My husband is active duty. If you need help let me know.

Dino
02/07/2011, 05:23 AM
:) I'd like to just step in here and say a great big thank you to all of you for all that you have done. It really is great to see so many fine individuals all in one thread.

CueMusic
02/07/2011, 08:28 AM
well I was thinking...if we can get a large enough network of miilitary reefers together and get an organization going that would be great, then hopefully working hand in hand with the local reef club members we would have plenty tank sitters to either watch our tanks for us or advise our significant others who are attempting to take care of our tanks while we are away...Now we just need to come up with a really cool name..hehe

How about Brothers At Arms Reefers. or BAAR

r_jay
02/07/2011, 08:33 AM
I'm in. Just started up about a year ago and transfer next summer, wondering what's gonna happen to the tank.

israel.kendall
02/07/2011, 01:41 PM
This is a great idea. The whole reason I didn't have any pets while I was in is because I didn't have anyone to take care of them while I was deployed.

sucker_fish
02/07/2011, 08:12 PM
I like it, I'm not that creative when it comes to thinking of cool names for stuff.

sucker_fish
02/07/2011, 08:17 PM
everyone else, I would love some more suggestions for names or acronyms for a "nation wide" type of club. Definitely gonna be moving forward with this and of course by a military club I mean any military at any time, I dont care if you served 6 months or 20+ years...it's great to see so many vets that are into reefing, I too didn't know that there were so many military reefers.

1fishkeeper
02/07/2011, 09:14 PM
Well I just seen this so I thought that i would hope in on it. I was in the Army for 10 years until I got hurt over in Iraq and got medical retired. But I think this is great for us all to get to know each other and find others that have been in our boots.

Vice333
02/15/2011, 07:36 PM
I think this is a great Idea, I'm in the military just outside of Philadelphia PA, and it is exhausting trying to teach my wife to handle things while I'm gone.

cyberwild360
02/15/2011, 08:05 PM
Marine..here in Indianapolis. Love the idea.

cdunson82
02/16/2011, 08:03 AM
This idea is great, I am now in the Orlando area. I just recently got off active duty and am now in the National Guard. With all my time away I was never able to have a tank but now get to have fun in this great hobby!

kctango
02/16/2011, 08:49 AM
Retired Army, Near Ft Stewart, GA. always here to support our fighting forces. Let me know if I can help..

JAustin
02/16/2011, 01:27 PM
Air Force OSI here. Been in for 10.5 years, love this hobby.

Jason

bif24701
02/16/2011, 02:46 PM
I just set my tank up a few months ago. Now I am in Florida for 3 months. Is there anyone in the phoenix valley that could take a look at my tank?

jet fixer
02/16/2011, 05:30 PM
my wife and I are both mil and think that would be a helpfull tool. I am currently feeling out my area trying to establish good conections in phx

Sweet! I am in AZ and I will be gone 90 days TDY here soon. I have to teach my wife how to take care of the tank while I am away. I hope she pays attention.....

Do you guys know about FRAG? When I PCS'd to luke three years ago I learned quite a bit about the local scene from that forum.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228

I just set my tank up a few months ago. Now I am in Florida for 3 months. Is there anyone in the phoenix valley that could take a look at my tank?

I live near Luke and can help out if she has problems. I retired two years ago I'm going to school so I have alot of time.

Bugcrusher
02/16/2011, 07:20 PM
Great idea. Retired military living in Lakeland, FL. Member of the Tampa Bay Refers Club, on this forum!:fish1:

maelv
02/16/2011, 07:49 PM
Currently in San Antonio. Spent 8 years in the AF and got out, and am now finishing up an Army ROTC program. Will get my Army commission (AF wouldn't take me back, LOL) in December of this year.

More importantly, I am a reefaholic!!!!!

FormulatedFire
02/16/2011, 08:27 PM
I'm active duty Navy in Maryland and I'm currently re-establishing my reef tank. This sounds like a great idea!!!

USNreefer
02/18/2011, 10:15 AM
My wife and I are active duty in virginia, hampton roads area. There is a pretty well established local group for reefers here. Anyone new to the area can send me a pm and I'll give you the site to connect to fellow reefers and get to know some people.

jdhuyvetter
02/18/2011, 03:41 PM
Not military and not a vet, but I think this is a great idea.

I'm one of the founding members our local club and I would say that it's a safe bet that almost any club that you contact would be willing to help out. I know that ours would.

rickcSMF
02/18/2011, 06:11 PM
Did ~7 years, and am a current DoD Civ. I love the idea. I can recall each tank break down and move...

What more did you have in mind?

Pnoytoitz
02/18/2011, 07:47 PM
Am a Navy Vet . I would like to be involve also. Am on Sacramento and Elk Grove California area. Bravo Zulu for all you guys and gals active duty. :thumbsup:

pleasants9
02/18/2011, 07:47 PM
Midshipman! haha, going to school at University of Florida in Gainesville, comission in December, probably a few months of IRR then off to Pensacola for flight school.

bbandu
02/18/2011, 11:33 PM
I just retired after 20 years in the Navy and have had many break downs in that time. I currently live in Southern California.

I to am a reefaholic building a new 150g

tommydee
02/19/2011, 06:39 AM
While not in military, I have several friends who are, and like many non-military folks, I always try to go out of my way to help those that serve.

In fact, just bought current tank from a public servant moving back to the state.

I'm in a job that requires me to move around a lot, and I have similar questions. I am currently in PR, so any of you Navy/Coast Guard folks are here, I can tanksit for you. Not appropriate for me to "join", but feel free to IM me if there is a need here in PR.

TD

almostazoo
02/19/2011, 08:47 AM
So is it official? Is BAAR (if thats the name)about to launch? Are we going to start making a list of people by area that can help eachother out?

katarina
02/19/2011, 09:40 AM
I don't know. I was just thinking the same thing. Most of us are spread out at this point but without a list of some sort we aren't doing much good....

CueMusic
02/19/2011, 06:58 PM
I think this is a great Idea, I'm in the military just outside of Philadelphia PA, and it is exhausting trying to teach my wife to handle things while I'm gone.

I am in Lansdale Also hit me up if you need help.

sucker_fish
02/19/2011, 10:21 PM
sorry everyone for the lack of posting, I have been busy but still pursuing getting an official club up and running, its proving a little difficult trying to organize everyone by area and see which areas have ample people interested etc..but the good thing is its not impossible...hang in there and hopefully soon I will have more info and maybe even a website to follow soon..

Mikey912
02/20/2011, 12:05 AM
Im in on it, I just got out last year after 7 years in the Army. I know how you all feel, i have had to teach my wife how to take care of our tank when i deployed.

cdunson82
02/20/2011, 07:41 AM
Let me know if there is anything that you need help with getting all this launched. I'm more then happy to help, which I believe a lot of us would be.

Mickey912: You live in Claremont Florida?

Mikey912
02/21/2011, 09:39 AM
No, Claremont Ca

adamsarmywife
02/21/2011, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure if we count as we are canadian military, but my husband has done ten of his 25 and we are alaways willing to help people out. We've helped other families with both sw and fw. :)

If anyone needs a hand we're in Napanee posted to CFB Kingston, Ontario

zach_24_90
02/21/2011, 05:35 PM
ive been born and raised in a military family my dad is a master chief in the navyand ive lived everywhere from CT to italy and everywhere in between. i think that this would be a great idea for everybody!

Will25U
02/22/2011, 03:43 PM
Hi all! I'm in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Been in the Army for about 12 years now. Let me know if I can be of any help to anyone.

almostazoo
02/23/2011, 04:07 PM
This thread has already helped, I contacted one of the people that posted from my area and he is going to help me out while I am TDY. We need to find a way to collect area lists or something to help others out.
D

tpayne156
02/23/2011, 08:23 PM
I am in the military stationed in 29 palms CA now. But I will be move soon to Camp pendleton CA. And I would love to help. I will be starting my biocube 14 soon if there is anyone that can help.

Army_JAG
02/24/2011, 12:34 AM
i just want to say hello and join the club, i am currently in Iraq. I am stationed out of FT Stewart. I will be back in May. Currently my brother is caring for my 28 gallon nano reef

mwladdicted
02/24/2011, 05:17 AM
This is a great idea. Im currently in afghanistan. stationed out of vilseck germany.Should be outa of here in a few months and back to my reef.Anyone else out of europe or tampa?.My brother back in tampa fl is currently caring for my reef.If a club gets started put me on the list!

Cheers,
-Tom

cdunson82
02/24/2011, 07:13 AM
Hey Tom, I am out of Orlando Florida now, close to Tampa. Currently switchng from active duty to the guard and will be drilling in Plant City, which is only a few mins from Tampa.

Chris

ChknWing
02/27/2011, 11:26 AM
Hi all,
THis is an awesome idea. I am currently in Fort Lee, VA with the army but am moving to FT Campbell, KY. I have packed up and moved my tank 5 times now from deployments and PCS. I can deffinitley help in tips on movig and anyone that needs help in an area.
Andy

dmastracchio
02/27/2011, 11:47 AM
I was in the army a few years ago but now I am married to a airforce pilot. I currently have an empty 180 sitting in my garage that i fear of setting up because of the foreseen move in the next year. Where we go next who knows but I am also willing to contribute and help.

Bugcrusher
02/27/2011, 01:26 PM
Hey Tom, I am out of Orlando Florida now, close to Tampa. Currently switchng from active duty to the guard and will be drilling in Plant City, which is only a few mins from Tampa.

Chris

Must be one of those cannon cockers! I retired from Fl guard in 2005, was in the 53rd SIB for 9 years.

CueMusic
02/27/2011, 06:21 PM
Is there anyway we can all get together a list of everyones emails and locations to help our fellow serviceman. I will try to start the list.

Name Location Email Branch of Service
Steve Montgomery Co PA [email protected] Coast Guard

sucker_fish
02/27/2011, 07:23 PM
OK everyone hang in there, I promise we are gonna get this thing going, I would like to have it up and running within the next couple months cause after that I'm gonna be out of the country for a while. Some things that I need to know to get things on a roll are ideas for website, mostly how the website should be set up as far as organizing everyone and the areas they are in. Should we just do it by state or go even farther and break it down by major metro areas as well? Also if anyone has any info for making donations to charities that would be helpful, I'm thinking maybe like setting up a premium member area and having like a $30 annual charge for premium members of which a percentage I would like to set up to be donated to wounded warriors. any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

sucker_fish
02/27/2011, 07:27 PM
By the way CueMusic has the right idea, if we can start organizing everyone now maybe it wont be such a hassle down the road, so heres mine...

Jeremy Gulfport,MS [email protected] US Navy.

mistaflicksta
02/27/2011, 10:12 PM
Erik Guzman

El Paso/Ft Bliss, TX [email protected] Ret. US Army

dmastracchio
02/27/2011, 10:24 PM
It would be great to get closer locations. Unfortunately, I am thinking with my upcoming move here in the next year it will be easier for me to give my livestock to locals rather then try to sell or take it with me. I think it would be great to know other military people on / off base in local areas to where corals and livestock can be traded and passed out. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but imagine having certain fish and corals that never leave on city and get passed on to multiple reefers.

schneidergarret
02/27/2011, 11:45 PM
hi i am currently deployed on a meu im sitting in kuwait now with the internet and i am stationed in nc camp lejeune as of right now when i get back we will see where it takes us (the family) my sister is taking care of my 24 gallon nano cube right now and it looks like it needs some work when i get back i am also looking to upgrade when i do get back nice to know that there is so many military people on here

CPL_DSM
02/28/2011, 12:33 AM
I love to join. I am a Marine in camp Pendelton right now, I'll be leaving to catch up with my unit this wendsday. I'm with the 13th MEU. I wont be back for awhile. However I just found a guy to take my Zebra Eel and my Nurse Shark. When I get back I have another PCS move. I am trying to go back east to or around Ohio. The cool thing is my my Shark and eel whill be doing the move with me. The plain is the next place we move to I'll have a tank close to 5000 to 6000 gallons.

AdamHI
02/28/2011, 12:54 AM
Active duty Army. Planning (almost to purchase stage) my first reef tank, 75 gal. Expecting to deploy (again) in next year or so, and hope my wife and daughter will be able to keep it going - but I'm sure they'd appreciate having some in person or phone support. Luckily, I'm in a good position and should be able to "homestead" here in Honolulu, so may not need to pack it up too often.
http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/information/images/tamclogo.gif

--adam

jet fixer
02/28/2011, 09:50 AM
Some things that I need to know to get things on a roll are ideas for website, mostly how the website should be set up as far as organizing everyone and the areas they are in. Should we just do it by state or go even farther and break it down by major metro areas as well? .

Just my opinion but Base/Post would probably be best.

schneidergarret
02/28/2011, 10:50 AM
if you would put it at bases or posts would that be every post and base there is because that is alot of bases and everything you would have to get in contact with and what not

TJNEW
03/01/2011, 07:09 AM
Also mil. at Camp Lejeune. Maybe you could just start a new sub-forum here that breaks down to states. and each state would have its own sub-sub-forum. If anyone here is a member of ArcheryTalk.com, they have that if you would like to cruise over and take a look at what i'm talking about, and then each individual from that state could post on there what they need or need help with and get local help, or if they were moving they could hop on over to the other state's sub-forum and post on there that they would be moving to the area and would need help setting up the tank or whatever. I think that would be the easiest way of doing things, not to take away from the mil helping mil idea tho.
here's a link to the arhery talk state sub forum.....
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=163

israel.kendall
03/01/2011, 08:19 AM
+1 military sub forum then broken into sub-sub-forums by base would work nicely.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

saltymight
03/01/2011, 08:31 AM
I got out less than a year ago But I did 6 years 2 tours and got an honorable discharge I would like to join

sharkysdad
03/01/2011, 04:20 PM
Active duty Air Force. Davis-Monthan, Tucson, AZ. Great ideas people!

sucker_fish
03/01/2011, 06:07 PM
OK Great ideas, i think breaking it down my branch of service and then base locations would be great! I dont know why I didnt think of that, but then again thats what all the creative people on here are for...:)

israel.kendall
03/01/2011, 06:14 PM
I don't think branch really matters personally. There are tons of joint duty assignments. Plus, why would, say, a navy Guy in Hampton roads care if an air force Guy at langley looked out for his tank while he was tdy?

Actually, now that I say that, I'm thinking there are multiple bases in some cities. Might just want to break it down into cities or metro areas.

Its already going to be a small number of people, may not want to fragment it too much more.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Scuba_Steve
03/02/2011, 12:35 AM
Sounds interesting. Active Army at Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs here. Been in the Army for 10, and reefing for 7...

SGT_DAO
03/02/2011, 08:28 AM
hello, i'm stationed in ft hood. about to go out to play in a few =/

CueMusic
03/02/2011, 02:57 PM
Breaking it down by major metro areas would work best, or regions in states. I know for me I would not have a problem driving an hour or so to help out a fellow military person with their reef or anyone for that matter. As far as donations again I don't have an issue with donations as long as the money goes to helping with the upkeep of the site and any extra money goes to upkeep of others reefs while they are deployed. You could contact the VFW or AmVets for help in donations or getting the word out. Thin if we have 4 pages of posts on here in a short time, how many others are out there who are not members of RC. Personally if I were deployed and I spent so much time and energy on my tank, I would want it in good hands, and look forward to seeing it grow when I get back.

Blackhawk007
03/02/2011, 07:22 PM
:) I'd like to just step in here and say a great big thank you to all of you for all that you have done. It really is great to see so many fine individuals all in one thread.

This kind of respect goes much farther than you could imagine. Thank You Cody!

Blackhawk007
03/02/2011, 07:23 PM
Oh I am also a vet, near Chicago I am in.

znotch
03/02/2011, 07:49 PM
CPL DSM: I know a guy who just deployed with the 13th MEU; Sergeant Moreno with combat engineers. Maybe you know him?

I'm a Marine Corps Vet, did 4.5 years. I'm always willing to help a fellow veteran out, especially a fellow Marine. Let me know if anybody in Southern California needs anything.
I love to join. I am a Marine in camp Pendelton right now, I'll be leaving to catch up with my unit this wendsday. I'm with the 13th MEU. I wont be back for awhile. However I just found a guy to take my Zebra Eel and my Nurse Shark. When I get back I have another PCS move. I am trying to go back east to or around Ohio. The cool thing is my my Shark and eel whill be doing the move with me. The plain is the next place we move to I'll have a tank close to 5000 to 6000 gallons.

ChknWing
03/02/2011, 11:16 PM
Andy Neighbors
Active Army, moving to Ft Campbell, KY Been in the hobby for almost 10 years now. I have done multiple moves, drilled tanks, built my stand, etc.

NickC5FE
03/03/2011, 08:28 AM
This idea is great! i am at Travis IN NorCal and i would be willing to sit. (I do not deploy, only go on frequent short hauls).

CueMusic
03/04/2011, 10:33 AM
O.k. here is my first enlistment of help from my fellow Military Reefers, I am looking for some unusual colorful corals something along the lines of Radioactive Eagle Eye Zoas, and such. If anyone can help or has any please let me know. Thanks everyone and for all you over seas get home safe.

Steve

KDC
03/13/2011, 07:33 PM
I think this is a wonderful idea! If something like this had been in place this past January then perhaps I could have overnighted my livestock to our new duty station instead of losing them all in-route because of a thrown tire and a broken axle.
I grew up with the Army, joined the Air Force and married a Navy NFO (who used to be a Marine! :p)
I was medically discharged after 8 years, but I would love to get involved and help out fellow reefers. Not only could we be there to tanksit, but we could see about donating frags to members who have had to tear down, and I would be willing to accept livestock overnighted for someone moving into my area. (Any excuse to set up another tank. LOL)
Speaking of which, we are stationed at Tinker AFB in OKC, OK.

sucker_fish~let me know what I can do to help. I am a stay at home mom, and while I am not extremely computer savvy, I can put lists together, make calls and harass people into getting help or support. After all, I did grow up dealing with tricare! :rollface:

Powederblue
03/13/2011, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, in currently serving my first term here in Dover Delaware afb in the AirForce. Thank you all for your support. If any of you are in Dover lmk there aren't many reefers in the area.

God bless

OdentonClown
03/13/2011, 09:24 PM
I am in to help. 12 year Army vet in Maryland right next to Ft Meade. I can help out either Ft. Meade (with shipping tank sitting or ship to) or Ft. Meyer (just not tank sitting to far to drive everysay) as I am close to DC / Northern Virginia and Baltimore. Willing to help any branch of the Military.

Also in this area is two Clubs one is CMAS-MD.org and WAMAS.org.

Thought club information in areas would be good information as well.

JandN
03/13/2011, 10:29 PM
Great idea AD USAF 5 yrs and counting, Elmendorf AFB (now JBER) Anchorage, AK.

flash&fire
03/13/2011, 11:06 PM
9yr Army vet, been out for a few but willing to help where i can as a beginning reefer. located near Binghamton, NY.

Doc's_reef09
03/14/2011, 08:08 AM
I think this is a wonderful idea! If something like this had been in place this past January then perhaps I could have overnighted my livestock to our new duty station instead of losing them all in-route because of a thrown tire and a broken axle.
I grew up with the Army, joined the Air Force and married a Navy NFO (who used to be a Marine! :p)
I was medically discharged after 8 years, but I would love to get involved and help out fellow reefers. Not only could we be there to tanksit, but we could see about donating frags to members who have had to tear down, and I would be willing to accept livestock overnighted for someone moving into my area. (Any excuse to set up another tank. LOL)
Speaking of which, we are stationed at Tinker AFB in OKC, OK.

sucker_fish~let me know what I can do to help. I am a stay at home mom, and while I am not extremely computer savvy, I can put lists together, make calls and harass people into getting help or support. After all, I did grow up dealing with tricare! :rollface:

haha i just pcs'ed from tinker to china lake, ca

KDC
03/14/2011, 11:10 AM
haha i just pcs'ed from tinker to china lake, ca

We started here in OK when we got married, then I was lucky enough to spent 18 months at Yokosuka, Japan then a year at the War College in Rhode Island and now we are stuck here in OK again. :rolleyes:
The only two good thing about having to keep coming back is that it means John's career is progressing, and for the first time in my life I get to return to our house.

KDC
03/14/2011, 11:38 AM
Andy Neighbors
Active Army, moving to Ft Campbell, KY Been in the hobby for almost 10 years now. I have done multiple moves, drilled tanks, built my stand, etc.

I lived outside Ft Campbell for about 10 years after my dad retired. That was a long time ago, but I liked Clarksville and they used to have a couple of really nice aquarium stores.

Brian Chong
03/15/2011, 01:52 AM
I sympathize with all of you that have to tear down your tanks when you pcs or deploy. Wish I had a bigger tank to temporarily house shipped corals but it's good to see that despite the amount of time you guys spend in the sandbox you are all dedicated reefers looking for ways to juggle your jobs and this awesome hobby.

Reeferhead
03/15/2011, 08:37 AM
My wife took care of my tank while I was in Afghanistan, based on the result you might want her to look after your tank rather than me. :lol: However, I'm willing to help. I'm Army but live near Scott AFB.

cody6766
03/15/2011, 10:59 AM
We started here in OK when we got married, then I was lucky enough to spent 18 months at Yokosuka, Japan then a year at the War College in Rhode Island and now we are stuck here in OK again.

Not to detract from the topic at hand, but look into COMAS if you haven't already. They have a subforum in the local boards down low. They're the central OK club and are active with a great group of people and resources. I was a member before I PCS'ed from OKC to PCola. I had numerous offers to help my wife out with the tank when had to leave her behind for a few months. Also, Aquariums (a store in Edmond) let me borrow their O2 bottle and gave me some bags to pack my critters before I made the move. The stores and people in central Oklahoma are great and you'll probably find a few other military reefers there too.

KDC
03/15/2011, 02:33 PM
Not to detract from the topic at hand, but look into COMAS if you haven't already. They have a subforum in the local boards down low. They're the central OK club and are active with a great group of people and resources. I was a member before I PCS'ed from OKC to PCola. I had numerous offers to help my wife out with the tank when had to leave her behind for a few months. Also, Aquariums (a store in Edmond) let me borrow their O2 bottle and gave me some bags to pack my critters before I made the move. The stores and people in central Oklahoma are great and you'll probably find a few other military reefers there too.

Thanks! I am actually going to their meeting this Saturday to meet everyone and pay my dues.
I've seen your posts on there too. I couldn't miss your avatar. I had a GW before we went to Japan. I had considered taking her, but I figured that since we would be living in housing that if I wanted my neighbors to like me I shouldn't bring a bird that they would be able to hear over the entire base! :)
I'm on the look out for a much smaller companion this time around so I don't end up with the same heartache. I figure that moving with four children )5 and under), fishtanks and a dog, no one would notice a feathered baby.

I actually packed up our house, flew to Japan, unpacked the household and was there for almost 4 months before my husband got there. Didn't sound too impressive until I though back and realized I had done it all with a 2 year old, a 1 year old and a 2 month old.

cody6766
03/16/2011, 09:02 AM
That's impressive! There's some talk of a PCS enroute to SERE out of Nav school down here, so that would leave my wife unloading our house and a half of crap along with 3 birds, my reef and what will be our new 3-4mo old. Hopefully they can fudge my dates around to avoid that when the time comes.

Rockys_Pride
03/16/2011, 09:30 AM
Got done with my active duty a few years back, didn't notice the MSO of 8 years. Oh well, now I'm in the guard, GO GUARD!!, until my 8 years runs out. Anyways, I'm in CO and always welcome a fellow service member, especially if they're reefers. If someone in CO needs tank sitting, wants to nerd out, or trade coral hit me up.

KDC
03/17/2011, 06:55 PM
That's impressive! There's some talk of a PCS enroute to SERE out of Nav school down here, so that would leave my wife unloading our house and a half of crap along with 3 birds, my reef and what will be our new 3-4mo old. Hopefully they can fudge my dates around to avoid that when the time comes.

Wow! That could really suck! Tell your wife she has my sympathy. Where are you going for SERE school? Or should I just be asking where she will be moving to while you are in school?

Aldridge Corals
03/22/2011, 12:56 AM
Hello everyone. This club is a great idea. My dad is a Vietnam vet, step dad Army vet, brother is USCG and my daughter is on her way in to the USCG. Thank you all for the work you do to protect us. Please keep me in mind; for when I have my shop up and running I plan to give discounts to all military. God be good to all of you and your families.

CueMusic
03/22/2011, 11:23 PM
Great seeing other Coasties in the mix. Thank you and welcome to our team.

Hello everyone. This club is a great idea. My dad is a Vietnam vet, step dad Army vet, brother is USCG and my daughter is on her way in to the USCG. Thank you all for the work you do to protect us. Please keep me in mind; for when I have my shop up and running I plan to give discounts to all military. God be good to all of you and your families.

reeftanknewbie
03/23/2011, 06:09 AM
How about Brothers At Arms Reefers. or BAAR

You got my vote for the name.....

reefman66
03/24/2011, 07:16 AM
Hey guys, in currently serving my first term here in Dover Delaware afb in the AirForce. Thank you all for your support. If any of you are in Dover lmk there aren't many reefers in the area.

God bless

Great to hear from all the mil reefer around the country. Count me in for the club! let me know wht I can do to help. I'm retired now after 21 years of this here great USAF, but still very much involved with the military here at Dover AFB, DE. Been reefing for the past 20 or so years. I know how it is with the move and all the long TDYs and having someone looking after your tanks while your gone. I'm very fortunate to have a very supportive wife to look after the tank while I'm gone. Hit and miss when I get back, however, I didn't have to start all over again.

Powederblue, your not Casey are you? if not let us know who you are so that we mil reefer can get together.

chasedasea
03/24/2011, 11:35 PM
I'm in, I am a vet married to an active duty member. I have been reefing since 2001 and know the stress and troubles we face. Personally I keep my setup simple and have never had a drilled tank since we move them so often. Nothing like driving cross country with 70-90 gallons of water sloshing around in the back with 100lbs of live rock and $1000+ of livestock...and we get to do it at least every 2-4 years, lol.

Coastie vet, 9 years AD currently living in West Palm Beach, FL

KingwoodMarcia
03/25/2011, 01:02 PM
11 Years in the Marine Corps. Any good ideas out there as far as moving tanks, ie mainly fish only tank. I PCS in June from NAS Corpus to Tampa, Fl.

I have a (2) 150's and a 375. I just need ideas about moving the fish. Last time I gave my fish away, and had TMO move the tanks. I moved the live rock.

1st idea, was to buy those big bug sprayer tubs(new) and run an air line into them and put a small pump to keep the water moving.

Any ideas are VERY much welcome.

Thanks.

CueMusic
03/26/2011, 12:00 AM
Kingwood, look up Tractor Supply co and see what they have for tubs. I know I got my 110 gal stock tank for dirt cheap there. The sprayer tanks that have caps and built in bulkheads sounds like a great idea. You could even put a battery pump in there for the move. I just heard of a guy who FedEx'ed his fish to himself.

KingwoodMarcia
03/26/2011, 08:16 PM
CueMusic,

That is the plan. Yea, the FEdEX, UPS plan would cost me a small fortune. I have about 30 fish. Ranging from a 14" Passer Angel to 14 Naso, and on and on..................

Thank you for your input Sir.

PFCDeitz
03/26/2011, 08:39 PM
Im a Army vet. Got cancer on deployment. But i have a 90 and a 10.

USNreefer
03/31/2011, 08:05 PM
I'm in, stationed at NAS Oceana in VA Beach. Been in for 6 years now. My wife is stationed at NOB in Norfolk. I have a 125g with 40 long sump. About to purchase another tank for QT so if anyone in the area needs any help let me know.

KingwoodMarcia
03/31/2011, 09:59 PM
There are some good reef stores in the VA Beach area. I was at Little Creek for about a month.

USNreefer
03/31/2011, 10:29 PM
yeah there are but all the best ones are the private owned ones :) helluva lot better than the chain stores!

Sparhawk
04/06/2011, 08:06 PM
Stationed in Hampton Roads, getting ready for a trip to the Sand Box, and can't wait to start up a new system when I return....I've been "dry" for 3 years due to moves, etc. Living vicariously through the forums helps, but doesn't compare to the real thing.

misoldier06
04/06/2011, 08:56 PM
Hello. This is an awesome Idea. I just recently started up my first reef tank a little over 6 months ago. The thing is... I had to do this while stationed in seoul, south korea. This has been one of the most challanging quest of my life. I have yet too meet anyone here that is into reefing so i've had to find a do everything on my own and I have to say, I'm getting pretty dang good at sharades. I just recently built a costume tank and DIY lighting, overflow and stand tank. This is a truely awesome hobby and is quickly becoming habit forming. If there is anyone out here in south korea who has a reef or wants to start one, give me a PM.

ANGRY JOHN
04/06/2011, 09:12 PM
i love the idea, where do i sign up ;) i had a good group in kings bay ga, and there is a good but much larger group up here in new london ct. This would be a great way to ask for help in a new area, or trade.

AdamHI
04/06/2011, 09:47 PM
I had been doing all the detailed planning for 75 gal DT and 29 gal sump, with the sump and the LED lighting to be DIY. Almost ready to pull the trigger, but confirmed that before too many months I would be heading out for an extended "field trip" :wave:. But I didn't want to dump an immature tank on my wife who supports me setting up a tank - but doesn't want to be the one maintaining it. Our compromise will be I will build and get it mostly purchased and constructed now and until I go, so then we can fill it as soon as I return.:fish1:
--adam

Navymedic
04/07/2011, 02:51 PM
Hello to all! Anyone near Orlando?

Newbie Aquarist
04/07/2011, 03:05 PM
I just caught up with this thread and I want to join and assist as much as I can. I am medically retired from the Army after 17 1/2 years. I am presently living in Clearwater, FL which is on the outskirts of Tampa. I am presently running a 225 gallon reef.

Aldridge Corals
04/10/2011, 01:10 AM
Hello Everyone,

An own we of the furniture store on base wants my store to provide a set up that he can sell as is, what is your take? Would you buy? How big of a tank should I offer? How much would you be willing to pay for an as is tank? What kind of livestock would you want to see in it?

Thanks in advance for your input.

By the way my Brother is USCG FDA and my Daughter is joining USCG in Oct. Dad is Vietnam Vet (Marine) and step dad is Army vet.

pilotchute
04/10/2011, 09:55 AM
Active duty Army stationed near NYC. I have moved my tank twice cross country. You do get good partial DITY since water weighs so much. If anyone in the are needs any help, let me know.

Kingwood, for moving the fish, I just used old 5 gal salt buckets with lids. I poked a small hole on top of each for air exchange while this lids were on in the car. The sloshing during driving keeps the water moving fine and then when we stopped I put a battery powered air pump in each bucket. At night, when we stopped at a hotel, take them inside so they dont get too cold/hot leave the lid off and run the air pumps. Bring an extra bucket with just salt water so you can do a partial water change when you get to where you are going while you set up the tank.

HTH
Brian

sean112280
04/10/2011, 09:34 PM
I am currently on Active Duty in the Army. I am stationed on Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD. I am willing to help out anyone in the area the best I can.

Joe0813
04/14/2011, 01:16 PM
Im not in the military but i would just like say a BIG thank you to all our men and women that currently and previously served. You guys are the ones out there protecting all of us back home. So thank you from me and my family members. And to anyone that is going on a deployment stay safe.

Joe and family

clayspst
04/14/2011, 03:37 PM
Active duty CG in south Florida with a 180

DiverDave2
04/14/2011, 04:17 PM
Hello from Basrah Iraq. Had a 90 before my last push. Started up a nano, then orders came in for the sand box again. I keep it small and PIF the corals to trusted members of the SDreefs club in San Diego. I usually get a fair amount of interest on my investment when I return and a 5-10 gal nano fills up pretty quick. If you're in the San Diego area (or headed that way) look us up at WWW.SDREEFS.COM.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!
DD

reeftanknewbie
04/14/2011, 04:57 PM
Hello from Basrah Iraq. Had a 90 before my last push. Started up a nano, then orders came in for the sand box again. I keep it small and PIF the corals to trusted members of the SDreefs club in San Diego. I usually get a fair amount of interest on my investment when I return and a 5-10 gal nano fills up pretty quick. If you're in the San Diego area (or headed that way) look us up at WWW.SDREEFS.COM.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!
DD

Man don't miss those days in the sand box :uzi:.....Come home soon and safely.

manvsfish
04/14/2011, 07:18 PM
I read all of the above and think that's me. I was thinking of trying to get a local Ft Bliss reef club going. I like cuemusic's idea for a name, BAAR. But what about the lady's? How's Soldiers At Arms Reefers, SAAR?

CueMusic
04/14/2011, 08:09 PM
SAAR works for me also. I like it. Or just simply Military Reef Club. I am truly impressed with everyone who has responded and offered help. I for one have made a connection with a fellow reefer and helped his with his tank while on Duty. I would like to hear about others success stories from our little club. If anyone else has made a connection and helped someone out please tell us about it.
Thanks everyone for your service and support.

outlaw15w
04/16/2011, 06:42 AM
I am active duty Army (15 yrs) this is a very good idea where do i sign up?

Demonic
04/19/2011, 10:15 PM
Active duty Air Force, just got back from a deployment and setting up my 270 now.

docstomper
04/22/2011, 12:20 PM
Air Force... In the desert now! Wife watching the tank for me while I am gone! Be home in 2 Mo! I love the Idea... Stationed at Nellis (Las Vegas)

Paul B
04/22/2011, 02:03 PM
I think you guys have a great idea and I hope it pans out. I wanted a tank in Nam but I could not get the sandbags level enough and it was tough carrying it on a helocopter so I was stuck with this duck. :D
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/Duck.jpg

andbob25
04/24/2011, 07:02 AM
i am a navy diver stationed in Ga and will be moving me and my 210g reef to little creek va in October i love the idea of having support from other military.

Bachmfd650
04/24/2011, 08:33 AM
3 yrs Army Reserve

Drill in the Reading PA area... 1 deployment, sent home early on medical, just waiting on papers from batallion now...

dwolson2
05/03/2011, 11:06 PM
in USAF, stationed on a Navy base, Port Hueneme CA. If you need help, let me know. Sisterliminpot and I are both here. Also, if your in the area/PCS'ing here let me know, might be able to give you a frag or two once mine grow.... Sucks to start all over with new corals!

CueMusic
05/04/2011, 08:36 PM
Hey guys anyone in the Las Vegas area who can give him a welcome home FRAG. Please come home safe.

Air Force... In the desert now! Wife watching the tank for me while I am gone! Be home in 2 Mo! I love the Idea... Stationed at Nellis (Las Vegas)

sucker_fish
05/05/2011, 04:13 PM
wow, this thread has took off more than I thought it would, Sorry for the long absence and not really making any progress with this idea so far but we got deployed a little sooner than expected. I will probably be on here a lot less for the next 8 or 9 months.

CueMusic
05/05/2011, 05:51 PM
SuckerFish if you would like since you will be away let me know what you have worked on and I will assist and try to make it fly while you are away. I think this is a great idea and want to see it prosper.
My email is [email protected] and anyone else who would like to help in the club please email me your ideas.

Thanks
Steve

javickrey
05/05/2011, 11:13 PM
Maybe RC could give us a spot on their clubs section. I leave for Afganastan next week and I look forward to seeing how this turns out. BTW my wife is taking care of my 210 while I'm gone. Bless her heart.

wlatino30
05/21/2011, 02:51 PM
active navy going on 14 years. stationed currently @ NAS jaxsonville fl. i would be happy to help if i can. picking orders right now so i can stay home for about 3 and a half years at least. any one in the jaxs fl area. :)

nj_evoIXgsr
05/21/2011, 10:46 PM
prior squid! Navy 5 years and out. probably going back in after 4 years due to lay off. but was heading that route to gain further experience after completing my degree.

smoker420tanker
05/22/2011, 12:36 AM
anyone needing help i live in the ft bliss area was acive duty nco now a cadet. if anyone needs help let me know

SGT_DAO
05/22/2011, 02:08 PM
i'm stuck in the sandbox!!! yet again....

sucker_fish
06/18/2011, 10:49 PM
OK soif anyone wants to help out it owuld be great im still playing in the sandbox and gonna be here for a while still, wont have time to pursue the idea for at least another 7 months, worked the past 3 weeks straight with little down time, starting to slow down now so maybe if 2 or 3 of us get together we can brainstorm and get the ball rolling on this. Any help from you guys back stateside would be great.

zakk
06/18/2011, 10:57 PM
Just a post from a Canukistan reefer. I don't think I can be of much help to most of you, but god bless what you do. You have many friends and supporters in the great white north, no matter what ann coulter might tell you :) :beer:

CueMusic
06/18/2011, 11:48 PM
Anyone Else want to help email me I will try and help spear head this to get Sucker_fish idea going. I'll even purchase the website and .com if need be.

PM me or email [email protected] We all worked together as a team in the military lets keep that going.

littlec984
06/19/2011, 12:38 AM
Acitve duty Airforce for 8 years, currently stationed at Hurlburt field florida. I am in afghanistan right now but leave in a few weeks. I have 75gallon. I am willing to help and participate in anyway i can

sean112280
06/19/2011, 05:45 PM
Cuemusic what do u need help with? I am willing to help out anyway i can

ASHANK
06/19/2011, 07:27 PM
Awsome idea! I'm in the Boston area

WPaoli
06/19/2011, 11:29 PM
19 year vet here with less than 365 to go! Active Army and in the Fort Leonard Wood area. We have one LPS here that's not big on reefs, so it's an hour-and-a-half drive to get the good stuff.

In the process of setting up a new tank- trying to go from a 29g BC to something LARGE.

Thanks for your service, everyone!

06/22/2011, 08:32 AM
I,m a vet in louisville, Ky. If there anyone needing help around Ft. Knox im hear for ya!

khowst
06/22/2011, 03:28 PM
19 year vet here with less than 365 to go! Active Army and in the Fort Leonard Wood area. We have one LPS here that's not big on reefs, so it's an hour-and-a-half drive to get the good stuff.

In the process of setting up a new tank- trying to go from a 29g BC to something LARGE.

19 years & stuck at FLW too. lol.

khowst
06/22/2011, 07:46 PM

Nice. I'm from FLW as well, and almost to 19 lol.

WaterKeeper
06/22/2011, 09:06 PM
If you get together a list I can add it to the reef club forum. I'd try to do it but I've been out so long that I recently found out that Ft. Dix is going to be a shopping mall. You can also check the current list for clubs near your post.

aarond21
06/24/2011, 01:57 AM
In the army just moved from fort carson, co to ft sill, ok. Love this idea. It sucks so bad getting something setup and going good then you have to deploy or move! Would help to meet people before you move somewhere new.

ASHANK
06/24/2011, 07:56 AM
US Air Force Security Forces, been in for 13yrs up in Cape Cod MA for the past two 1/2 yrs, Just got back from Qatar after a seven month stent. My buddy watched my tank, all my fish died but my softies made it. It would be great to meet some reefers around my area.

kctango
08/05/2011, 10:48 AM
I have currently compiled all the posts on this thread into an excel spread sheet. I have taken what people have posted plus what was in their profile to make this list. If I have made any errors on someone information I am sorry and will correct it when the information is provided. This is a great idea and I dont want to see it fall off the plate. I know sucker fish and CueMusic have taken the lead but I just wanted to help anyway I could. If you see that I missed your info or that you want to add or change anything let me know. The list is current through post #152

I did come up with a name that is both gender and branch of service netural
what do you all think
"Military Reefers Support Network" "MRSN"

reeftanknewbie
08/05/2011, 01:38 PM
I have currently compiled all the posts on this thread into an excel spread sheet. I have taken what people have posted plus what was in their profile to make this list. If I have made any errors on someone information I am sorry and will correct it when the information is provided. This is a great idea and I dont want to see it fall off the plate. I know sucker fish and CueMusic have taken the lead but I just wanted to help anyway I could. If you see that I missed your info or that you want to add or change anything let me know. The list is current through post #152

what do you all think

you got my vote on this name......thanks again everyone who is serving or has served.

bif24701
08/05/2011, 01:57 PM

what do you all think

That sounds great!
Any military reefers in phoenix area?

matt_wahoo
08/05/2011, 05:30 PM
Count me in! Such a great idea. I am finally able to set up my tank again. Its such a great feeling of being able to keep it up. When I was stationed in Key West my tanks were at my parents house in WPB a 4 hour ride. This trip was made all the time until I just had to sell the tanks. Now that I will be on land here for a while its time for a new reef set up.

kctango
08/05/2011, 06:54 PM
bif24701 Download the excel attachment and you can see all that have posted so far from AZ

All contacts are sorted by States then cities

matt_wahoo you have been added to the list and it is now posted

As you will all see we are up to 90 supporters on the list and we will continue to support all that defend this great nation

rfalvey89
08/05/2011, 08:16 PM
just stumbled on this (literally) :beer: and I think it's great to recognize our military. Your efforts for this country are much appreciated.

case_cam
08/05/2011, 09:40 PM

what do you all think

I'd love to participate. I didn't see anyothers in Lemoore, CA.

kctango
08/08/2011, 06:45 AM
Case cam you are added to the current list and welcome to the group.

MADtanks
08/08/2011, 11:17 AM
Nice thread, i just got done with my Active Guard, and now working as a civillian outside of the military. I always had that infamous problem of starting a reef getting it going and soon as its mature and growing in nicely DEPLOYED! or long term training.....

Current system: 20G Frag tank, Fuge, Sump all in the basement all plumbed for me to turn 2 valves and release the flow upstairs to the 210G(72X24X28) thats in the works.

I am hoping that this one stays up for longer than 1.5 years lol!

sucker_fish
08/08/2011, 11:37 AM
Hey guys and gals, its great to see this still moving forward, sorry i kinda let this drop off the radar for a while but being deployed i am very busy, hope to continue participating in this when i return home early next year keep up the good work everyone and i am gonna love to see how this will turn out in the long term.

P.S. Please add my info, located in gulfport, MS (when im not deployed)

NanoReefNoob
08/08/2011, 05:37 PM
I would def like to be apart of the group. I am in the Marines, stationed in Beaufort/Paris Island SC. This is a great Idea.

Paul B
08/08/2011, 06:39 PM
I can't open that link. But I'm old

kctango
08/11/2011, 09:35 AM
The list is updated, sucker fish you have been on the list since day one. Be safe and hope you get home as soon as possible

MADtanks I would like to add you if you want but need to know your location.

Nanoreefnoob you are now added and you're not to far from my location I am near Ft stewart GA.

Paul B I am not sure why you cant open the link, which version of excel do you have as I can load an older version if need be.

Paul B
08/11/2011, 01:35 PM
OK I found it. Can I get on it? I am a Viet Nam Vet. Thats a place we were once at, before most of you were born :lol2:

MADtanks
08/11/2011, 04:39 PM
Hi, I am in Central CT now, but did my tours over in Iraq..... so i guess im in the No longer in Category lol.

Butchhe
08/11/2011, 06:49 PM
I'd love to join in. I've been in the Air Force for almost 22 years and I have a 4 FW tanks and a 5.5 gallon AIO SW reef that I just started a month ago.

coralreefnc
08/22/2011, 12:10 AM
I like to Join, USN Retired eastern NC

kctango
08/22/2011, 07:36 AM
I have updated the list through this morning.

If you have any information on the list that is missing or has changed you can PM me to get it updated.

I know money is tight and I want to help by donating some of my experienced equipment to a currently serving military member.
If anyone has a need of a RIO 2100+ pump let me know I have one that is 2 months old for free as a donation to a military member just let me know I will even cover the shipping. I will check for other items when I get home.

kctango
08/22/2011, 07:37 AM
forgot the list

Tmoriarty
08/22/2011, 07:59 AM
Saw there are members from lemoore ca. Im ex navy but work in lemoore as a contractor for the navy. Feel free to add me please. If u need more info then what is in my profile let me know. And happy reefing.

ZPavDesign
08/22/2011, 08:23 AM
<--- US Army, Fort Bragg, NC.

kctango
08/23/2011, 02:47 PM
I will be updating the list when I get home tonight and both ZpavDesign and Tmoriarty will be added.

The pump that I had available is now spoken for, it will be shipped out tomorrow to sean112080, Once again sean thank you for your service and that goes out to all that have served or are currently serving this great nation.:beer:

NinjaBum
08/23/2011, 06:01 PM
<--- Active Army here. Fort Benning, GA/ Columbus, GA. Haven't talked to any other military around here into reef keeping.

PhelpsTanks
08/23/2011, 07:18 PM
<-- USAF stationed at DM, Tucson, Az about to pass my 7 year mark. A-10 Crew Chief but my heart is still working on the F-15. Would like to be added to the list as well, as of now I have a 29 gallon freshwater, 10 gallon freshwater tank, and soon to get a 55 gallon saltwater reef setup!

toad2169
08/23/2011, 09:13 PM
hey everyone, 15 years of service and got my 1st tank when i returned from my 2nd overseas tour in 2009. New Jersey Army National Guard and still going.

sean112280
08/24/2011, 06:54 AM
I will be updating the list when I get home tonight and both ZpavDesign and Tmoriarty will be added.

The pump that I had available is now spoken for, it will be shipped out tomorrow to sean112080, Once again sean thank you for your service and that goes out to all that have served or are currently serving this great nation.:beer:

Thank you KCtango!!

redhdmedic
09/06/2011, 11:07 PM
What an awesome idea! First I want to thatnk you all for everything you do! I'm a DOD-Civ paramedic @ Fort Meade and can't think of better group of people to work with, you all are wonderful, and I thank God everyday for the opporunity to serve you. I've been in the hobby for about 15+ years now and would be honored to lend a hand in any way I can! I live in upper Montgomery County, MD, so I'm central to Ft. Detrick, Ft. Belvoir and such...anywhere I can help just let me know! Take care and be safe out there!

Carrie

OdentonClown
09/07/2011, 06:06 AM
Hey redhdmedic I live in Odenton right next to Ft. Meade.

sean112280
09/07/2011, 11:31 AM
Welcome red!

reeflover7826
09/07/2011, 12:48 PM
I was in the Mighty Mighty Navy when i recieved my first tank my Chief was moving to brazil so he gave me his 45 gallon FW tank. Then i went on deployment and some how my wife killed every thing. I held on to that tank for 2years before filling it with salt water.

This is a cool idea. Add me to that list.

IYAOYAS!!!

redhdmedic
09/07/2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

dmastracchio
09/15/2011, 11:41 AM
Just got our dates for moving and although it's only a 6 hour drive to our next destination, I would rather part my life stock and such to someone who has a tank around the area.
I have:

Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Two firefish gobies
2 blue chromis
2 false percs
Bangaii Cardinal
Watchman goby
Cleaner Shrimp
2-3 Peppermint Shrimp

100+ lbs of LR covered in zoa's and xenia.
Frogspawn

Perferably, I would glady donate this to another military person who has the ability to house the livestock. I am located at Sheppard AFB in wichita falls, TX. Send me PM.

kctango
09/22/2011, 09:41 AM
dmastracchio sorry to hear that you will have to move.:wave: I was wondering if you were able to find a home for your livestock as of yet.:fish1::fish2: Hopefully someone on here helps you out.

I haven't been on as of late and I am sorry about being late with the updates on the list. It is now updated as of 9-22-11

sean112280 I was wondering if the pump worked out for you?

sean112280
09/23/2011, 09:47 AM
Yes it did work out. TY again. I havent had a chance to clean up my other pump to be able to post that yet.

SalinFL
09/25/2011, 09:13 PM
Love the revised name MRSN.

Is the group for the service member only or are dependents of active duty allowed to jump on board?

sucker_fish
09/28/2011, 02:35 AM
Love the revised name MRSN.

Is the group for the service member only or are dependents of active duty allowed to jump on board?

I would say dependents are welcome, I know my wife has helped out tremendously with my tanks every time I deploy.

sucker_fish
09/28/2011, 02:44 AM
well halfway through a deployment and looking forward to getting back to the homefront and really making a decent effort to get this club up and running.

kctango, thanks for all you have done to see this through and keep up the good work I will definitely be coordinating with you when I get back to get everything situated, the ultimate goal is to get official club bylaws established and get an official club up and running then establish a website for all to enjoy. I just wanted you and everyone else that has become part of this to know that I greatly appreciate everything you have done to keep this from falling off the grid. :thumbsup:

wtildens
09/28/2011, 06:14 AM
WOW, great ideal sucker_fish. I'm active navy stations in Pax River, MD. I'm more than willing to help out.

If there are anyone new the Pax, feel free to contact me, I've know some members of the local club and am willing to help with anything you need.

Is anyone planning on putting a vote togiether for the name? and maybe we could contact the admin guys here at "Reef Central" maybe they would give us out own section of thread.

feel free to contact me. [email protected]

Ba19Ma88
09/28/2011, 08:53 AM
I jsut came off a deployment to FOB OE and currently setting up my 57 gal rimless. Live in North Andover MA so if you need any help or ? let me know
Bruce

Fireburd
09/28/2011, 09:22 AM
Just finished a 6 month deployment in Iraq where my free time was spent learning about how to set up a SW tank. I think I have a good basis on the basics and I am ready to branch into the unknown of actually running one. Just wanted to stop by and say hello to all of my fellow soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, and coasties.

Fireburd
09/28/2011, 09:24 AM
Oh btw I am stationed at Joint Base McGuire Dix Lakehurst in South Jersey.

r_jay
09/28/2011, 01:14 PM
Got 01 Coastie here voting for a military reef club. I'm transferring next summer from Houston to (?) Maybe West-Northwest Coast. I just emptied my 65g RR and plan to try and ship my coral (mostly frags) and somehow my B&W clowns from my BC29 to wherever I end up.

Rusty T
09/28/2011, 02:18 PM
I'm in! This thread is what actualy made me register here on RC. I am stationed in Geilenkirchen Germany and am 2 weeks into cycling my new 170g reef tank. Hopefully there is more than just me at GK? Great idea by the way. Oh yea A.D. A.F. 12+ years.

Ba19Ma88
09/29/2011, 12:48 PM
Perpahs this could be divided by region of tank location (IE New England, Midwest, Southeast,Southwest and West) and then mabey even a sub folder for our International friends who fall into the Military Reefer category.

That way you could click on what region you are in and see fellow Mililtary reefers are locate? Sort of a index inside the this folder?

r_jay
10/02/2011, 01:13 PM
That is a good idea, I almost think even a Branch specific sub-category would be nice, maybe since whenever we transfer may be in the same units etc...

PerfectRapture04
10/02/2011, 01:41 PM
Located at Barksdale AFB in Bossier city, LA. Been caring for reef tanks for 12 years. This is a great idea to get started.

mikezalewski
10/02/2011, 09:08 PM
i just want to say thank you to all our military. i think that giving them a discount on something that will give them a little joy is WELL worth it. if I had a store I would give any military a discount on any of their purchases!

SammyJ916
10/03/2011, 11:59 AM
What a great idea! Spent 7 years active duty Army with the 82nd Airborne. Been reefing about 13 years, couldn't get a tank going for about 2 of those because I was constantly deployed but now that I'm out I have 2 tanks going.

amnbowser
10/03/2011, 12:08 PM
Whos at Eglin.

haftafish
10/03/2011, 06:12 PM
Just saw this thread. I am ex-military i spent 6 years SF and 8 years active reserve. I'm out now and work for the military as a civi but i want to have the privilege to thank all of you that are still serving or have served. Thanks for all you do and god speed to all...

Airborne12B
10/04/2011, 10:46 AM
Fort Bragg baby here! 27th EN BN. I have a 60gal FW tank, but no SW tank yet.

khowst
10/04/2011, 01:03 PM
Fort Bragg baby here! 27th EN BN. I have a 60gal FW tank, but no SW tank yet.

Hello, and welcome. Spent a couple years next door in 37th. lol.

itunesdan
10/04/2011, 05:56 PM
does anyone have a pump that I can purchase/have? I am having a very hard time with the pump that I have keeping quiet.

sean112280
10/04/2011, 06:26 PM
Are you military? Where r u at? I have a mag 3 that u can have. It was replaced by kctango. Thanks again kc tango

itunesdan
10/04/2011, 06:38 PM
yes i am military, been in 8 years and am at APG, MD. I see that you are in MD too, sean.. is it possible i could come pick it up from you? I dont mind the drive

sean112280
10/04/2011, 07:31 PM
ok cool. Im at APG as well! I will pm you my address and number if you want to stop by.

John&Steph
10/05/2011, 03:37 PM
Military been in 14 stationed at Dam Neck. We have a good local reef club that tend to help out. I am almost done with this pump should be back before the month is over. This is a good deal i am always down to help my fellow brothers in arms.

RattlerSkin
10/06/2011, 12:01 AM
Its good to see something like this, hopefully it gets off the ground. I'm a Marine, been in 8 years and currently in SoCal

ReeFMarinE
10/06/2011, 12:15 AM
I am a Vet, served in the Marines, located in Nor Cal. a newbie to the forum. Hello everyone and thank you to those that have served and are currently serving.

C5flyboy
10/12/2011, 10:21 AM
I am really excited about this!! I'm at Travis AFB. Been in for 14 years. Anyone up in that area? I see ReeFMarinE is just down the road from me so I have a local available for questioning as I am new to reef keeping and am completely addicted to it!

Curtispants
10/12/2011, 04:27 PM
U.S. Army here as well. I'm 32 and a disabled vet...I left 6 feet of intestine in the desert when I got blown up by an ied. My reef tank keeps me sane.

Babybrown1249
10/12/2011, 05:21 PM
Any one around the Southern New Mexico area. I am stationed at Holloman AFB.

kctango
10/20/2011, 07:38 AM
"Military Reefers Support Network" (MRSN)

I have updated the list with all that have posted on this thread. Please review your information and if anything is missing or incorrect please let me know and I will correct it.

As you see I have arranged it by State, then city so you can search who is close to you. As far as arranging by branch of service I feel that we are all military and I for one support all no matter what branch of service you are in.

kctango
10/20/2011, 08:07 AM
How about one of you artist types coming up with a logo for the "Military Reefers Support Network" (MRSN) where here to support those who serve. a few examples would be nice to vote on.

Flyboy17
10/29/2011, 06:36 PM
Really great idea here. I'm currently in Northern Virginia stationed at the Pentagon, but PCSing to McGuire in the spring. I've been in for 16 years and been keeping fresh and saltwater fish for over 25 years. I currently have a 14g Biocube setup and just got a deal on a 120 that I'll be setting up after I move.

Cheers,
Chris

toad2169
10/29/2011, 09:46 PM
hey flyboy, theres a couple of us up at the joint base dix/mcguire/lakehurst if ya need help when you get here

Mike31154
10/29/2011, 10:52 PM
Retired Canadian military. Just a drop in the bucket compared to your outfit(s). Do I qualify to nose around here?

https://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1pDCQnqP5JYvgtd38s-IKlHkHBKH9WpB3P620H1AR7bhOPo3X6guDp1pr9fWVhiX3omZ0f3rNaLjI/408Sqn1c.JPG?psid=1

https://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1peiMpkUXESonQyilNjRh4pzSOYwAZ0jU2dEaKGRciXcNCZAo0w_um5X7ZejEchHR-N2fFskGH_BQ/CFSAlert1c.JPG?psid=1

sucker_fish
10/29/2011, 11:01 PM
hello mike,

I would say that you are most welcome to nose around hopefully when I get back from being deployed I will be able to get with everyone and get an official website going so there will be more to nose around through.

CueMusic
10/29/2011, 11:06 PM
I just moved and in the process of moving and setting up my 75. I'm now in Lancaster county PA 9miles from "That Pet Place" :).

Jar*Head
10/30/2011, 10:49 AM
great idea, i am 14 years Active duty Marine Corps currently station in New Orleans but my family still in socal. I feel all your pain regarding breaking down the tank everytime you received PCS orders. Last year i deployed to Afg and i have to break down my 480g display tank, sent all the corals and fish to my friend in Vegas. Unfortunately the heat wave took them all along with the rest of his stuff. I am currently tank sitting for my Maj who is currently TAD and i am also help a local reefer rebuild his 1300g system. If any of you live in New Orleans area, i am more than happy to help.
This is the last Vid i took of my tank. It is currently on craigslist for sale because i don't think i will have the time to get it back up or be able to afford the expenses after having the two kids :D

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/videos/th_MOV02642.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/videos/?action=view&current=MOV02642.mp4)

sean112280
11/12/2011, 10:14 AM
I just PCS'D to Ft. lewis,WA. Anybody else up this way?

pleasants9
11/15/2011, 09:41 AM
hey guys I am getting station at NAS pensacola, this is my first move with the NAVY, anyone know if the movers will move the fish tank? or should I plan to move the whole thing by myself??

pleasants9
11/15/2011, 10:01 AM
to follow that question, anyone know of any reef clubs in that area??

Spydermonky
11/15/2011, 10:59 AM
Hey all, 7 years active here and stationed at Fort Lee, Va for a bit. Add me to the list and let me know if you need help. To the question about moving the tank, they moved my 150, but it has to be empty and clean. They did a great job of packing it though.

Reef1121
11/15/2011, 05:28 PM
Hi there I just came across this group and was wondering if I could be added. Im in the air force stationed at Travis AFB CA and have been reefing for the past 5 years.

MikeFisher1972
11/17/2011, 05:21 PM
stoping by to show some support
I am AD and about to retire we have a local club if any of you are from Lejeune or jacksonville NC come on by we would love to have you.
Or if you are moving and need some help with your tank our club can help.

sucker_fish
11/25/2011, 01:57 AM
hey all i just wanted to drop by here while i had a chance and say happy thanksgiving to all of my fellow military reefers.

SalinFL
11/25/2011, 06:32 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

armydoc
11/25/2011, 08:52 PM
Posted in Fort Belvoir, VA. Love my local reef club(WAMAS) and always happy to help.

small triggers
11/27/2011, 09:38 PM
Getting ready to be transferred to DC but we are going to live in Woodbridge, VA Nice to know there's a club nearby!! I cant wait to get started up again!

CueMusic
11/27/2011, 10:08 PM
All settled in and moved the tank here it is.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc512/smalone74/photo-1.jpg

mdeyoe88
11/28/2011, 12:27 AM
I just PCS'D to Ft. lewis,WA. Anybody else up this way?

Yes

sucker_fish
11/29/2011, 08:02 AM
cuemusic...glad to see you got the tank set up, lookin good. how far did you move it? I moved my 75 from san diego up to ventura and that was a chore.

small triggers
11/29/2011, 12:56 PM
I'm up north on the Peninsula in Poulsbo.. we have a really good shop up here.. but I dont know if there are any closer to you down in Tacoma or so..
But im getting ready to move in Feb to D.C. ...

sean112280
12/05/2011, 11:30 PM
Yes

Any good clubs/shops here?

wvreef
12/06/2011, 01:07 AM
I would llike to thank all of you that serve our country.....with out you defending our freedom we would be lost....THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH

kctango
12/06/2011, 08:40 AM
Sorry for being away for a month.
I have updated the list since Oct please view it and if anything is wrong let me know and I will fix it.

Happy Holidays to everyone and to all be safe where ever you are.

kctango
12/06/2011, 08:47 AM
Sorry forgot one person but fixed it

sucker_fish
12/06/2011, 09:01 AM
KC- you rock, i just wanted to say thanks for keeping on top of this thread, I am still deployed but not for much longer (counting down the days). As soon as I get back and get caught up with everything back home i will definitely try to get in touch and become more active with everything. Thanks again..

midtownman
12/06/2011, 05:39 PM
add me please
army,ft swewart,6 yrs reefing

littlec984
12/07/2011, 09:04 AM
Whos at Eglin.

I am at hurlburt

smith usmc
12/07/2011, 04:18 PM
hello everyone i am in the marine corps and would love to join this group, how do i become a member. semper gi

zmalexander
12/08/2011, 07:47 AM
Please add me as well. Zachary Alexander. USN AD. Camp Pendleton, CA. 30 gal reef. Working on getting a 58 up and running.
I'd love to help out however I can!
Zac

luvthebeach
12/10/2011, 09:24 PM
I am in the military (my husband is retired military) and we have a 175 bowfront. We are currently taking care of our daughter's tank while she is at tech school. We live in NW Missouri and would love to be part of this club!

sucker_fish
12/15/2011, 09:50 AM
Luvthebeach, we would be glad to have you. So you and your daughter both have tanks? I bet the 175 bowfront is nice, I've always liked the bowfront tanks but never had one that large.

Foreverfishy
12/15/2011, 01:28 PM
I am more of a lurker than a poster until I saw this..I will gladly lend a hand where I can. A/D Coast Guard 12+ years now in Middleburg Heights, OH

sean112280
12/19/2011, 12:28 AM
Anybody in the jblm area have a piece of live rock i can use/have to seed my rock?

sean112280
12/21/2011, 01:14 PM
Anybody?