PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a controller for my 90G build.

RiddlerJoe
02/05/2011, 09:45 PM
I'm working on getting a 90G tank set-up for salt water. I bought a tank with a nice stand (older) for a few hundred. I'm going to drill it and run and sump. I've got some good pumps, a good skimmer and some great lights. I'm working on the stand now cleaning it up and giving it a repaint.

I've just decided instead of having a ton of space bars, timers, etc under the tank I think a nice controller would be really nice.

Here's what I'm planning to run...

2 - Metal Halide (400w - 2.35A each) - Plan is to run them on the same plug.

1 - Double T5 fixture to help with some blue's and such. (1-10k bulb & 1 ancitic bulb) - Plan is to use these as dusk and dawn bulbs and to leave them on while the MH are on to add more light during peak time.

1 - 24" Coralife 36w PC fixture over sump. - Run this fixture opposite the mains.

1 - Berlin Classic skimmer with quiet one 3000 pump

1 - Quiet One 4000 return pump.

2 or 3 pumps - Koralia pumps for now. Maybe later afford to get something nicer. Plan is to have them all on the same plug since there low amps.

1 or 2 Heaters - Plan is to find a nice Titanium heater.

2 fans - To help with cooling off the MH.

After this all I would like to be able to check my system via my iPhone 4 and be able to monitor settings and such. I work long shifts and being able to get alerts would be nice.

I also plan to get Moonlights with the controller.

Right now I'm thinking the Reefkeeper Lite w/net module would be my best bet. Get that up and runing and then ad the moon light module and extra pods.

Are there any other controller's out there that are simple to set-up and easy to use? I've been reading about the Apex and the Reefkeeper Lite's. So far I'm liking the RKL.

Thank you in advance,

Riddler

raulruiz912
02/05/2011, 09:51 PM
i run an aquatronica, and i love it. the price use to be way up but marine depot has the Ethernet package for 699 includes allot

Enzel
02/05/2011, 11:08 PM
I had the AC Jr, the RKL and now I have the Apex. I bought both lite versions of neptune and digital aquatics to see which one I liked best before getting their elite versions and I decided to get the Apex. So far I love this controller.

USC-fan
02/05/2011, 11:33 PM
You will love the reefkeepers. I have used one for over 5 years. Works great. Looking to get a reefkeeper lite when i find a deal. I have tried the neptune acIII and sold it.

jimsplace
02/06/2011, 05:43 AM
I bought the Apex, love it! Easy programing and great support, both here on RC and from the manufacturer. I did lots of comparison shopping before I bought mine, check out the vendor forum here, it will give you some ideas on +'s and -'s of the various controlers.

RiddlerJoe
02/06/2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks all....from the looks of everything I'm guessing it ight come down to price since both have the same options and such.

Riddler

cobra9
02/06/2011, 10:36 AM
They dont all have the same options.

Also I wouldnt put both lamps on 1 outlet. you will be drawing a lot of amps when you start them.

Not to mention you will be al the max amp draw of most energy bars with just your lights. I would pick up a second bar and split the lights up or put the heaters/pumps on a second bar.

dearmey
02/06/2011, 10:40 AM
I like having a separate controller for your heaters. You can still monitor your temp on your pc.