PDA

View Full Version : bleached RBTA

Chelo's Big Sis
02/06/2011, 01:51 AM
I have a RBTA that has bleached and split. I believe the bleaching was due to a mini tank crash. What should i feed them to get them to color back up? how long will something like that take?
Thanks.
Cindy

bradleym
02/06/2011, 09:02 AM
Coloring up a bleached anemone usually takes several months to get back to full color. I would feed mysis, chopped krill, chopped silversides, etc. Small pieces for recovering BTAs IMO.

Chelo's Big Sis
02/08/2011, 01:58 AM
thanks for the info. Should I feed them daily or how often? What is a good thing to feed them with? I normaly feed them with long tweezers but if the food is chopped up it will be harder to use them. Why should the stuff be chopped up? I don't know much about this so I am asking to learn, I'm not questioning your knowledge. Thanks again.
Cindy

bradleym
02/08/2011, 07:40 AM
Smaller pieces is recommended because they can absorb them better. More of the nutrition will go to good use instead of getting "pooped" back out. In nature, BTAs really don't ever catch live fish but mostly live off tiny bits of stuff that float by. I bought a turkey baster at the dollar store, then cut the end off to make a bigger opening. I just put all the food in a cup of some tank water, then feed with the baster. *This can be tricky if you cut too far up and make the opening too big.*

Chelo's Big Sis
02/09/2011, 01:04 AM
I get it. I will head to the dollar store and get a baster. I have one of those sea squirt baster things but it is sooo long and it is hard to get it into the tank with the lights over head. Thanks for the info.
Cindy

loglew
02/09/2011, 02:06 PM
Here is a couple pics of one that I got last July, the biggest thing I found is patience, don’t worry or get to caught up on feeding it a lot. I quit feeding mine so often because it seemed like it was having a harder time eating and then expelling then if it didn’t. So I cut back to once a week or less and that’s when it settled down quit moving and really took off. Patience!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=346&pictureid=18713

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h471/loganlewis369/IMAG0190.jpg

jeff@zina.com
02/09/2011, 02:48 PM
Should I feed them daily or how often?
Healthy BTAs only need to be fed once or twice a week, I wouldn't do any more with a sick one.

Jeff

Chelo's Big Sis
02/22/2011, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.
Cindy