PDA

View Full Version : Creefer01's 34 Nano

creefer01
02/06/2011, 07:45 AM
Well, after a year or more of reading on this site and others, I finally started a reef! I have learned a lot since the project began, not the least of which being that being a marine aquarist is much like being an addict. The tank was started with the following equipment.

34G Solana Aquarium System and Stand
Maxspect G2-110W LED
Koralia nano at 454 GPH
Stock Skimmer
RKL
150W Stealth Heater

Since the tank was started, I have changed out the Koralia with a Tunze 6045 with adjustable flow. That was a big help to the tank. I started the tank with agaralive, rock from reefcleaners, and seeded it with some locally purchased LR. Being my first reef and hearing so many different opinions on how to start, this seemed logical to me.

Here are pics right after water test and set up. This was about all that was accomplished in October 2010 other than the installation of the RO/DI unit.

creefer01
02/06/2011, 07:51 AM
The following pics show what occurred in the month of November 2010. The first pic was at the beginning of the month and you can see the typical GHA that I was dealing with. The last few pics show the start of stocking. Excuse the bad pictures. I have a crappy camera and LED make pics difficult.

creefer01
02/06/2011, 08:01 AM
In December 2010, I added more livestock as well as an ATO. That was a huge help. Considering that I use the second chamber as a fuge, keeping the water level back there consistent was a serious help. I have added a true percula clown, algae blenny, and some more coral. Tried to add 2 bangai cardinals but they didn't make it.

Here are the pics.

creefer01
02/06/2011, 08:08 AM
January 2011....basically just added more livestock. That's about it other than the endless frustration associated with the crappy camera. I added an acan and an ORA bird of paradice frag. I forgot to mention in the previous post that in December 2010 I started dosing MB7 and Reef BioFuel, as well as 2-part. I have since been contemplating vodka but I have not yet started that.

Also, in January I switched from using Reef Crystals to ESV B-ionic 4 part salt mix. I'll never go back. The stuff is very consistent and allows you to mix to the parameters you desire. I have been able to maintain Ca and Alk much better using this product and the weekly 15% WC that I do.

Here's the pics.

creefer01
02/06/2011, 08:26 AM
February 2011....

I have decided to make some changes. I'm going to order some Tom aquatics aqualifters to use with 2 part dosing. I'm also going to replace my ATO pump with an aqualifter to better keep salinity in line. Currently, I'm using an MJ900 and it just pumps to quickly IMO for use in the ATO on this small tank. I have it in a 5.5 gal tank in the stand and it works great, but I am considering kalk in the ATO and would need a much slower rate of top off than what I currently have. So, the plan is for 3 of these aqualifters to use with my RKL for those purposes.

Anyway, photos are not that good so I took a video, which is also not that great, but here is a link.

http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee490/creefer01/

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking.

sbrock
02/06/2011, 09:46 PM
looks great! how are you liking the LED's?

creefer01
02/07/2011, 05:04 AM
Thanks sbrock. So far so good with the LED. I'm pleased. I have no heat issues to contend with and growth is good. I have a small Monti Cap in there that when purchased in December 2010 was less than the size of the plug it was on. It's more than double in size and has encrusted the plug. Taking pictures is a bit of a pita with the LED though.