PDA

View Full Version : ati sunpower6x54 vs new tek 4x54

rich850
02/06/2011, 11:10 PM
i am just wondering would i be better off buying a new tek 4x54 light fixture with bulbs for 317 or buying an 8 month old ati sunpower 6x54 for 350 from a lfs shutting down

CMcNeil
02/06/2011, 11:13 PM
get the ATI all day,the teks IMO are crappolla.i have owned an ATI 6X39 and it was an awsome fixture you wont be disapointed.

Felixc395
02/06/2011, 11:16 PM
Haha, while I wouldn't call Tek's crappola, haha, it's true ATI is better. Go with the ATI, you won't be disappointed! Not only is the ATI more efficient, but with the two extra bulbs, you will get some very nice output.

reeferlover
02/07/2011, 12:42 AM
I would get the ATI in this case but if they were new cost I would get a tek 6 bulb or a 6 bulb aTI all day. I have seen them side by side and I dont like how big and industrial looking the ATI are. I mean they are so ugly. the TEKs look nice and they work very very well and are much much cheaper. And they are def not crap. I always buy the teks without fans add a fan and they are awesome. will never buy a different t5 light. I have seen multiple 310s with them and they jam SPS CLAMs 4 feet from the fixtures.

solitude127
02/07/2011, 09:49 AM
If you get the ATI, be ready to hang it somehow. There are no legs for the ATI.

rich850
02/08/2011, 11:19 PM
i got the ati sunpower and a toadstool frag for 350 and kept my retros happy with the deal but now realize my canopy wont fit i had to suspend the fixture from the ceiling where is the best place to find a taller canopy is it bad not having a canopy on my tank?

kgk
02/09/2011, 12:04 AM
i got the ati sunpower and a toadstool frag for 350 and kept my retros happy with the deal but now realize my canopy wont fit i had to suspend the fixture from the ceiling where is the best place to find a taller canopy is it bad not having a canopy on my tank?

I always had issues w/ gas exchange (pH) & heat when I ran canopies. Open-top for me. I like the look of hanging lights, and I enjoy looking at the tank from above.

Canopies are nice in that they corral stray light. They may also keep a stray fish in the tank.

chimmike
02/09/2011, 08:16 AM
Don't use a canopy. You'd need to create active cooling for the ATI fixture in a canopy, plus the ATI is a nice looking fixture.

You got a helluva good deal on that thing.....you have no idea.