PDA

View Full Version : 92G corner sump and fuge

usctrack
02/07/2011, 10:05 AM
All,
I picked up a 92G corner tank this weekend (always wanted one of those!!) and it has a acrylic sump (same size as a 20H) that has been made into an open sump from a wet-dry. Problem is that there is now baffle to hold the water level at height for the skimmer. I am trying to redesign and may start over with a 20H.

I would also like a fuge but there is not enough room. How might I add a 5.5 or 10g external to the sump? I guess I could drill the sides and plumb in in that way? Has anyone had to do this so I can see some options?

Thanks

USC-fan
02/07/2011, 10:11 AM
I use a 28 gal bowfront. Fits prefect over the stand. still had room for 5 gal top off.

usctrack
02/07/2011, 11:05 AM
Another SC guy on here! Nice!
You have the 28G bowfront under the tank? happen to have any pics of the setup?
I was considering a 20H and a 5.5 or 10g on top or in the front to use as a fuge. Want to try to figure this out before I add the remaining water. I have sand, 30g water and rocks in there now to keep everything alive.

etomasko
02/07/2011, 02:31 PM
dude hack the wet/dry get a 30 gal and make arcrylic or glass baffles...with nice size fuge...

usctrack
02/07/2011, 02:42 PM
I cant fit a 30. I have about 24" under there from side to side so it has to be a 20H or a custom. I have made all of my sumps with fuges so I am familiar with the process but with my skimmer taking up 12" I start running out of room.

I will remeasure but I am pretty sure a 29-30g wont fit. I am open to any ideas.

dublo8
02/07/2011, 06:32 PM
If it's a corner tank, make a custom triangle shaped sump? Just my thoughts. I think that would be pretty unique. Not sure how you could do it but I have it pictured in my head right now lol

usctrack
02/07/2011, 06:40 PM
I have no experience with acrylic other than cutting and using it for baffles. I have weld-on though so its a possibility. I will have to ponder that one a little more. I have water in the tank but not draining to the sump to keep sand and rocks alive.

IMM3DOORSDOWN
02/08/2011, 12:20 AM
If it's a corner tank, make a custom triangle shaped sump? Just my thoughts. I think that would be pretty unique. Not sure how you could do it but I have it pictured in my head right now lol

Triangle sump! Hmmmmm I'm liking that idea.

dublo8
02/08/2011, 07:42 PM
Triangle sump! Hmmmmm I'm liking that idea.

Thank you. I do my best thinking late at night :beer: I think it could be pretty slick that way. The front corner of the triangle could be the fuge and then you can make it into a "display fuge" while hiding the other stuff behind it in the other two sections. I like my fuge to look nice as well as be usefull for it's intended purposes.

Acrylic isn't really that expensive. You could probably have the bottom of the sump cut for you by the acrylic supplier. Use a 1/3" Acrylic rod in the middle to attach the sump baffles too. I'm telling you this the idea of the year. dang I'm good.

USC-fan
02/08/2011, 07:45 PM
Another SC guy on here! Nice!
You have the 28G bowfront under the tank? happen to have any pics of the setup?
I was considering a 20H and a 5.5 or 10g on top or in the front to use as a fuge. Want to try to figure this out before I add the remaining water. I have sand, 30g water and rocks in there now to keep everything alive.
No pictures but I can get you one tomorrow if you like. It does fit perfect under my stand.

the measurements are 24 x 16 x 18

16" is in the middle, the side are 12"