PDA

View Full Version : Advice plz: Powerhead

ReefKnot
02/07/2011, 04:14 PM
I have a 29g tall tank with one Maxi-jet 900 powerhead. It puts out 230gph. my water flow isn't really strong, and I am debating getting an anemone. Aside from everyone's screams of terror about an anemone in a tank my size, I'm wondering if you think my water flow is strong enough or if I should look into getting a second power head.

Please dont lecture me about the anemone, I'm only thinking about it at this time

solitude127
02/07/2011, 04:37 PM
Is the maxi jet the return pump or do you have a return pump and a maxi jet to supplement flow?

chuckreef
02/07/2011, 04:45 PM
Regardless of its rating, I would get a second becuase,
- it will help create soem random flow,
- add more flow overall,
- allow one to be high for aeration and one to be low for flow low in the tank,
- will be there when oen of them fails - which will happen - and ehn it does, without two = death for animals if you don't catch it for a few days.

BTW, the Koralias are great for this size tank.

ReefKnot
02/07/2011, 04:53 PM
Yeah I was planning on getting a Koralias. And I dont have any return pump, the maxi-jet is my only powerhead. I dont have a sump or anything fancy. So random flow is better than, say, a circular flow? I would have though that having a uniform water flow was good

Mike31154
02/07/2011, 07:26 PM
I think most anemones do well with random flow, back & forth or chaotic. A VorTech MP10 would be just the ticket for your size tank.

ReefKnot
02/08/2011, 01:16 AM
I think most anemones do well with random flow, back & forth or chaotic. A VorTech MP10 would be just the ticket for your size tank.

lol, yeah that would be cool. unfortunately I dont have that kind of money....

solitude127
02/08/2011, 11:00 AM
I would add a Koralia 1 and for your Maxijet, I would add the Hydor Flo. It's an add on item for you maxijet that will give random flow. It's fairly inexpensive (like $10 when on sale). The only bad part, is that you have to take it apart sometime to keep the mechanical part clean, but IMO well worth it.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_FLO_Rotating_Water_Deflector_Internal_Wavemakers_for_Aquariums-Hydor_USA-HD01401-FIWMIW-vi.html