PDA

View Full Version : coral dip used as supliment?

DeepSeaBeauti
02/08/2011, 11:50 AM
As the title states, Can Seachem Reef dip also be used as an iodine suplement? If so how much?

bertoni
02/08/2011, 03:18 PM
That sounds like a bad idea to me. It might have ingredients other than iodine, and the iodine might be in elemental form, which can be very toxic. It'd be like using Lugol's solution.

DeepSeaBeauti
02/09/2011, 07:11 AM
Did to me as well, untill someone asked me. Im not trying to cut any corners, but i know my corals respond well to it when they are diped.

Well then lets shift gears here, Is an Iodine supliment an essential element that should be added? My tank is currently soft corals, war coral, duncan, and a smal acropora frag?

jeff@zina.com
02/09/2011, 07:28 AM
Many soft corals like added iodine, but it's a two-edged sword. It's very easy to overdose and it's basically a poison at higher levels. Most people will use Lugol's and start with half the recommended dosing. In most cases, adequate water changes will maintain decent iodine levels.

Jeff

bertoni
02/09/2011, 04:37 PM
There isn't any evidence that iodine is useful. I grew a lot of soft corals and never dosed iodine. This article might help:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

If you want to dose iodine, I'd use something that's iodide-based. Lugol's solution contains elemental iodine, which is toxic. If the corals are responding to being dipped, they might have a disease or predator that's causing problems. I wouldn't assume that they're consuming iodine.

DeepSeaBeauti
02/10/2011, 07:26 AM
I was never under the assumetion that they were consuming iodine, but like i was saying that they seamed to respond to the treatment, it had me wondering if it would be benificial within the water column. I know belive after reading that article that there is a bigger problem within my tank, and the iodine is not going to fix it, if will just be like a band-aid on a gun wound. Thanks everyone for your help.

bertoni
02/10/2011, 02:48 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!