PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Protein Filter Problem

amfavs
02/08/2011, 07:20 PM
So I moved my 60 gallon reef to a smaller Red Sea Max Nano reef and everything was fine until I turned on the protein filter and micro-bubbles exploded out of the jets. The problem is I moved over because my old tank was broken... meaning I now have two clowns in the Red Sea Max and cant turn on the protein Filter.

Any thoughts on remedying this? I heard that it could take weeks for the microbubbles to stop?

I turned of the protein filter now since I do not want to harm my fish but the water is going to turn bad very fast.

Thanks!

sucker_fish
02/08/2011, 07:46 PM
you can try to make some adjustments to your protein skimmer to try to minimize your bubbles, I think if you're still having micro bubbles after 2 weeks something is not dialed in right, I have had some skimmers continue putting microbubbles into the tank for a couple days to like a week tops with the skimmer not running you wont be able to tell though.

SwampyBill
02/08/2011, 08:08 PM
+1^^^. Microbubbles from the skimmer won't harm your fish; but if you don't stay on top of water changes in that nano tank w/o a skimmer, the deteriorating water can...

amfavs
02/08/2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the response.

The problem is that the fish are already in the tank, so I dont want the microbubbles to hurt the fish although I have read that it can/cannot harm them.

This is a used tank so I do not know why the Mircrobubbles have started up.

I have turned the skimmer on and one jet to limit the output of microbubbles. I have a power head in to keep the flow up.

Any additional advise would be great.

Thanks again.