PDA

View Full Version : Need help repairing Acrylic sump

kctango
02/08/2011, 10:19 PM
Well after waiting a week my new sump arrived via UPS. I opened it to find that the UPS guys must have use my sump as a football while watching the superbowl. I contated the person that I purchased it from on ebay and he will contact UPS for a claim. Well see he did not insure the sump for its replacement cost just what I paid for it. My question how can I repair this sump if need be. It has a few pieces broken off some at the seams and others just cracked off.There is also some places that has cracks in the middle of the area. Is therehope for this.

cpasurfer
02/08/2011, 11:30 PM
Buy some Weldon #16. I bought from a plastic company in central CA but can also find via web. Then buy some extra acrylic sheets at Lowes. Have them cut the sheets to the size you need then patch using the Weldon...works very well!

RokleM
02/09/2011, 10:13 AM
There are many ways to repair acrylic dependent on the situation. Before any recommendations are made, I would wait for the seller to give you exact details as to return shipping, exchange, or what the plan is. Do note a bunch of ebay vendors list insurance as YOUR option, so if you didn't select it, technically it may be your fault and you're out of luck.

I also wouldn't recommend a fix until we see the damage itself. Weld-on 3/4 is good for getting into very small cracks dependent on the area, where 16 (or better yet 40) is more for large damage and filling gaps. 16 shrinks/evaporates heavily, so it's difficult to work with.