PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI wastewater ok for laundry etc?

Brwestern
02/09/2011, 04:21 PM
My unit will be in the laundry room, and instead of wasting water, i figure i would just run a load of laundry when i make some water. I figured it would be ok but don't know exactly how the filters work. I didn't know if the waste water had more TDS than pre filtered or if all the crap was just in the filters themselves.

thegrun
02/09/2011, 04:27 PM
The waste water will be much higher in TDS, but should be fine to wash clothes in. The downside is that it is likely to form mineral deposits in the machine much quicker than tap water.

redfishblewfish
02/09/2011, 04:52 PM
I currently do this....your tds is not that much higher. Without measuring it, but relying on math, I make five gallons of pure water with approximately 20 gallons waste. With a tds of about 250 on my incoming water, by using math only, the tds of the water in the machine would be about 312.

Just remember that you're making water. I've flooded the basement two times already.

Game Over
02/09/2011, 05:04 PM
It's alot better then just wasting it or watering your grass. I use it in my laundry machine

Sk8r
02/09/2011, 05:06 PM
Yep. Perfectly fine.

needmore-reef
02/09/2011, 07:22 PM
I can see it now, the look on my wife's face as I explain why there are more tubes and buckets in the house:)
Great idea. My waste water goes into the yard.

Brwestern
02/09/2011, 07:30 PM
I can see it now, the look on my wife's face as I explain why there are more tubes and buckets in the house:)
Great idea. My waste water goes into the yard.

Just had to justify spending $$ on "wasting 4 gallons of water for 1 gallon of fish water" as my girlfriend puts it.

"but baby, I'll do more laundry this way, you'll see".

Thisseemsfishy
02/09/2011, 07:33 PM
I currently do this....your tds is not that much higher. Without measuring it, but relying on math, I make five gallons of pure water with approximately 20 gallons waste. With a tds of about 250 on my incoming water, by using math only, the tds of the water in the machine would be about 312.

Just remember that you're making water. I've flooded the basement two times already.

Basement...lucky. Ive flooded the kitchen twice!!!!!!!!!!!

aleonn
02/09/2011, 07:41 PM
It's a great idea to use the RO/DI waste water for laundry. I've used it for watering the lawn too without problems.

Brwestern
02/09/2011, 10:07 PM
It's a great idea to use the RO/DI waste water for laundry. I've used it for watering the lawn too without problems.

Ideally I'll be doing the same soon...soon probably being 3 years away. :sad1:

aleonn
02/10/2011, 12:24 AM
That time will fly :). By that time imagine how big our corals and fish will be ;)