PDA

View Full Version : moving overflowbox ???

fragboy94
02/09/2011, 10:52 PM
It is a 180 gallon ACRYLIC cube 4x4x18 the overflow box is dead center in the tank it is approximetly 9x9. it is supposed to be viewed from all sides but i have it partially in a corner. I've been thinking and im wondering if its feasible to move my over flow to the back if my tank.. it is glued to the bottom of the tank obvhiously is there a way to remove it without hurting the acrylic. there are 5 holes 2 3/4'' holes, 2 1''holes and 1 3''hole as a dry tube for powerheads and what not. then that overflow box would be saved if i wanted to restore it to a all side viewable tank and a new smaller box made and siliconed to side and bottom for easy removal later and so it doesn't screw up the acrylic sides like if i used weld on. then 2 drain holes drilled there and reuse the old 3/4'' and 1'' holes for returns in the middle.

the reason for moving is i want more room instead of having wasted space and hidden areas. please don't put me down for wanting to do this it is just a idea.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/fragboy94/IMG00189.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/fragboy94/IMG00192.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/fragboy94/IMG00197.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/fragboy94/IMG00128.jpg

medic29
02/09/2011, 11:08 PM
I posted in your other thread...on your post there.

Trademark
02/09/2011, 11:14 PM
Lets do it. +1 for moving

medic29
02/09/2011, 11:23 PM
Lets do it. +1 for moving

Sounds like a challenge; remember...you will loose some of the height of the overfloow d/t what you cut out, then have to smooth out after getting it cut out. I have a spiral router bit you can use to smooth out the edges. I wouldn't mind watching/helping whenever you do it.

Sloeber
02/10/2011, 01:49 AM
Might I suggest...

Purchase some factory cut acrylic strips sized to the needed dimensions from Illini Plastics.

Cut out overflow.

Place overflow into new location.

Glue acrylic strips immediately in front of the OF edges.

Once dried, then glue the OF to the acrylic strips, overlapping at the bottom. In other words, you aren't glueing the bottom of the OF box, but rather the bottom side wall to the side wall of the freshly glued strips. Also, no need for the OF box to be at the bottom of the tank, thereby allowing you to accomodate for whatever was cut-off and not lose any height.

Doing it this way, you eleminate the worry to have a perfectly flat edge on the freshly cut acrylic OF box. It can be all snaggle-toothed, and you'll still get a good, solid, water-tight seal.

HTH

Trademark
02/10/2011, 08:56 AM
I like that way Sloeber,sounds like a better way than just plugging holes with bulkhead and fittings. This way you have a water tight seal and can still get back to original plumbing if needed in future (closed loop)

llewoh05
02/10/2011, 08:58 AM
ill bring the beer and lawn chairs. :)

Sloeber
02/10/2011, 11:47 PM
ill bring the beer and lawn chairs. :)

Sweet! I'll take a 4pk of Delerium Tremens.

Sloeber
02/11/2011, 01:06 AM
I like that way Sloeber,sounds like a better way than just plugging holes with bulkhead and fittings. This way you have a water tight seal and can still get back to original plumbing if needed in future (closed loop)

Hrmmm.

I think you misunderstood me. Maybe I am wrong, but let me try to re-explain this.

First, I am all for "plugging the holes with bulkheads and fittings." Holes exist, no real benefit to laying a sheet of acrylic over them vs leaving them as a viable option - if anything it is a negative IMHO. They already exist, maybe they never play into the future, but maybe they do.

Forgive me here as I have not been following the thread - Trent asked me check it out for the overflow move so I quickly went to his photos. It appears the overflow has 5 holes in it currently. Is it 1 - 1", 2 - 3/4", and 2 - 1/2" ?

The 1/2" can be plugged. Basically useless. Bulkhead, plug, teflon tape, $6 and 3 minutes of time per hole.

The 3/4" and 1" can certainly be utilized as return/closed loop outputs. But I'm not sure of Trents plans in that regard.

But back to what I was saying in regards to the OF moving. I think you mistook what I said as purchase a full sheet of scrylic and cover most the bottom including the existing holes. That's not what I meant.

Lets say the front of the OF wall is 12" long. What I'm saying is purchase a piece of acrylic that measures 1/2" thick x 2 or 3" wide x 13" long.Place this piece not flat on the bottom, but perpendicular. Gives you a 1/2" bottom piece to glue to the bottom of the aquairum, and a 2-3" strip to glue the OF sidewall to. 13" so it sticking out 1/2" on either side and have adjoining strips running down each side of the OF.

Does that make more sense?

Sloeber
02/11/2011, 01:23 AM
OK, just talked with Trent. Seems I was way off on those holes LOL. And when I said I wasn't following the thread, I meant his project build thread, obviously not this thread :lol:

So he has 2 - 3/4", 2 - 1", and 1 - 2-1/4" holes.

Use the 2 - 3/4" holes as returns from the main return pump. Simple enough.

Use the 2 - 1" holes as returns for the closed loop. Done.

Use the 1 - 2-1/4" hole for the intake on the closed loop. I'd purchase a Y fitting to go from 2-1/4" to dual 1-1/2" and purchase a intake grate for each side.

Even if the immediate plan doesn't include a closed loop, it doesn't hurt to plug those holes up top, put a union/ball valve underneath the aqurium, and keep the holes a future option.