PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly changes color at night

jonnybravo22
02/10/2011, 12:21 AM
Burgess butterfly turns almost completely black at night with 2 oddly luminescent white spots on him. anyone know the explanation for this? can you point me to any articles / threads?

it happens only when the lights go down and it's time for bed. guessing it's a defense mechanism sort of thing but it's so strange!

auem
02/10/2011, 12:34 AM
butterflies do that i think...my moorish idol always changes to grey after light goes out...

LemonLemon
02/10/2011, 04:51 AM
yes all butterflies adopt their night colouration when they sleep.

that includes turning a darker colour and often times, certain "characteristic" markings.

most butterflies including your burgess and other related species from that complex, including declivis, turn dark and develop the two white circles.

not all species have the same nocturnal colouration though. it varies from species to species.

very interesting

michael_cb_125
02/10/2011, 07:58 AM
Lemon, is correct. My C. declivis get darker and gains his light "eye-spots" in the evening.

~Michael

LemonLemon
02/10/2011, 09:06 AM
ah yes i was just walking to the kitchen and saw my little mitratus sleeping, it too has the "eye spots and dark coloured" night pattern like declivis and burgess.

SDguy
02/10/2011, 11:19 AM
All my butterflies change color at night. Interestingly, the dark collare turns lighter!