PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any advice on piccaso triggers

justchilllin
02/10/2011, 06:42 AM
Before i got into the hobby i saw a picasso trigger and i loved him. I was wondering if you had any experience with having a picasso trigger and a reeftank. I have lgs and softies in the tank any advice, it would be great to have him housed in my tank

Knox_Legend
02/10/2011, 06:51 AM
How large is your tank? They need a fairly large tank and can be aggressive also most likely it will eat your CUC and any shrimp you have in the tank.

Chris27
02/10/2011, 08:23 AM
They can have a taste for small crustaceans.....look really close at their mouth....those teeth aren't for show....they mean business. Coral may likely be safe, but the CUC isn't, and without a CUC your tank will eventually suffer unless you really take care of it.

justchilllin
02/10/2011, 09:20 AM
well i really do not have any inverts in my tank now i appologize but i am not sure what a CUC is?

greech
02/10/2011, 09:23 AM
clean up crew (snails, crabs, etc). You will need to replenish these as the trigger consumes them.

justchilllin
02/10/2011, 09:24 AM
my tank is a 90gal and i do not have any snails or inverts i only have a serpent starfish

Pallobi
02/10/2011, 10:12 AM
My advice is.stay away from most triggers, especially with chompers like their's as one mentioned... I know.they are.amazing looking fish and seem to have great personality, but unless you have jus a.fish only system setup as well, you, the fish and ur.reef will be better.off.passing on him... I did got a undulated trigger about 4 years back,which I believe have pretty similar demeanor, and after a couple months I knew I should have passed... great fish, ill say, but I would pass... not reef safe by any means...

Pallobi
02/10/2011, 10:16 AM
Also they like to bite things, get territorial as.heck, and will rearrange your tanks sand and could put it all over your corals and perhaps move.rock

And I feel ur serpent star will be lunch at some point too :(

reggiepe
02/10/2011, 10:17 AM
I had one 20+ years ago when I was new to the hobby. I had a FOWLR tank. It was the trigger and a bunch of yellow tail damsels. I watched him devour all of my damsels within a week or two. Unless you want a large specimen tank with him being your centerpiece, I would pass on it. Just my two cents

jrelec08
02/10/2011, 10:34 AM
i used to have one probably ten years ago if i remember right it was a fish only with live rock and sand I dont really remember him moving sand to much and i also had him with a coral banded shrimp that he never touched i loved his attitude but didnt like that i couldn't keep hardly any other fish i wanted at the time with him they are mean little devils i know that

Toddrtrex
02/10/2011, 10:44 AM
my tank is a 90gal and i do not have any snails or inverts i only have a serpent starfish

Your tank isn't big enough for one long term.

Chris27
02/10/2011, 12:37 PM
I classify the Undulate Trigger as the Devil's Spawn of the SW Tank - I had one - and as Bad Bad Leroy Brown, it was meaner then a junkyard dog.

Pallobi
02/10/2011, 02:00 PM
Yea that thing.was.off the handle lol... and he was only a few inches...

Angel*Fish
02/10/2011, 03:09 PM
They need a much, much larger tank. This is an intelligent fish that will get bored in your tank and some swim back and forth like a caged lion. It will quickly eat all the small inverts and worms you didn't realize you had in the tank and once he's eliminated them all will be looking for something else to do. He'll knock over rocks and go nuts over anything that was living under there.

They get up to 10-12 in and like to stick their heads up out of the water. Try to picture that at your house -lol. Some say they can learn tricks.

In my opinion these fish should be left in the ocean unless you have a public aquarium sized tank.