PDA

View Full Version : Which sand to buy?

Tomasko
02/10/2011, 07:42 AM
sounds like a silly question i have a nano setup went with petco whatevers on the shelf fine sand....now im setting up my 90 gal....and theorys or better yet proved theories on fine to course sand and what size granuals.. is 1.5 small i not know these things help a brother out...thanks in advance.

chimmike
02/10/2011, 07:45 AM
Well, depends on how much flow you're planning on. If an SPS tank, you want high flow, so the only sand that won't blow around is Caribsea special grade reef sand.

Tomasko
02/10/2011, 07:53 AM
no running a maxi 5500 planning on adding a tunze probally...nothing crazy just any input like where cheapest to get from...online?

The Velvet Sea
02/10/2011, 09:21 AM
Considering sand is heavy, it is usually expensive to ship and most places disqualify sand from any discounted shipping that they offer.... Except Dr. Foster & Smith. I bought my sand (CaribSea Special Grade) from them.

jeff@zina.com
02/10/2011, 09:22 AM
What is in the tank also makes a difference. Sand sifters and burrowers will require certain types of sand. Hit the CaribSea web site for a great description.

As for purchasing online, find a way to get free shipping, since that's what the killer is in ordering sand online. Since you're in Dunedin, check into the Tampa Bay Reef Club and see if you get discounts at local stores. Tampa Bay Saltwater also has Gulf live sand. Though I'm not sure it's a great price, it is definitely high quality.

Jeff