PDA

View Full Version : problems with flow through BRS dual reactor

jacksonpt
02/10/2011, 12:03 PM
I've got the dual GFO/carbon reactor from BRS and I have a terrible time keeping decent flow though it. I've got an eheim 1262 that is split between my display and the reactor, both lines use ball valves to regulate flow, so I can't believe it's not getting enough water... just seems like sediment/deterius/whatever builds up REALLY quickly in the GFO chamber.

Anyone have similar problems... are these this fussy, or is it just me?

evoi19
02/10/2011, 12:56 PM
I have the BRS dual reactor as well running on a seperate MJ1200. I noticed that it wasn't getting alot of flow and even if i turned the valve all the way open, it still wasn't pumping enough water. When i took the canisters apart, i noticed that the small round foam pieces were the culprit. The carbon pieces built up and into the foam pieces that it prevent water to pass through. After rinsing and scrubbing for a long time, it cleared up the problem. Depending how long you've been running your reactors, it may be a good idea to either rinse them or pick up some replacements.

jacksonpt
02/10/2011, 01:20 PM
grrr... I don't feel like I should have to do that every few weeks. maybe I'll look for some bigger/coarser carbon next time.

gweston
02/10/2011, 02:31 PM
I am running carbon and GFO in a single TLF reactor with a dialed back MJ1200. I layered the carbon on top and the GFO on bottom. About 50% of the GFO solidified and killed the flow to a trickle in about two weeks. I suspect next time I will mix them together first. Hopefully the GFO will be less likely to solidify if it is interspersed with the carbon.

As for the dual reactor, I think BRS suggests going with GFO in the first chamber, tuning it until it tumbles (theoretically prevents it from solidifying), and carbon second (to catch any fines that may come it's way). Obviously the problem there is.. gunk from the tank can then clog up the GFO as it is first in line.

I picked up a pair of single BRS reactors for my new tank. I have yet to hook them up. But I plan to put the MJ's in the sump after the sock/skimmer section. Hopefully the water there will be cleaner and reduce the speed at which the reactors clog.

Skins
02/10/2011, 03:55 PM
i noticed that the small round foam pieces were the culprit.

+1. That's the problem. As with mine. I battle it constantly. I have adjested the inlet flow to no avail.