PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME Randy two parts....

Stuginski
02/10/2011, 01:39 PM
Hi Reefers:

My alk is 6...and I want to move up to 7 (I´m using randy two-part recipe 1)....my calcium is 420...

Whem I put the numbers in the calculator...the result is to put 40ml of kh solution!

My questions are:

1) Can I put all the 40 ml at once...or I have to put little amounts for days (weeks) until my alk reach 7???

2) Can I correct my alk to 7 or 8 before start dosing Calciun solution???? Because I think my Calciun is ok for now...

Thnks a lot

Sorry for my bad english!

D.

Amoore311
02/10/2011, 01:43 PM
I would only increase alk .5 DKH per day. Others might do more, but I personally do not.

That would mean you dose 20ML of your alk solution today, and 20 ML at the same time tomorrow.

Yes, you can correct your alk prior to dosing calcium solution.

nanojg
02/10/2011, 02:04 PM
Are you using receipe #1 or #2? What is the volume of your water?

I disagree about the .5 dkh/day, I believe most systems consume more than .5/day and therefore require more. I have the alk part of the 2 part on a doser and evenly dose throughout the day, but before the doser I would add 30ml at once into my 58 gallon with no problems at all.

FYI I use 45 ml of the alk part and 30 ml of the calcium part per day in addition to 1 gallon of limewater.

bertoni
02/10/2011, 03:18 PM
I dosed 2-3 dKH at a time regularly for years, but the tank didn't have any touchy stony corals. I suspect either of the two-parts will be fine for such a small dose, but you could use baking soda if you're worried.

reefology
02/11/2011, 12:15 AM
I believe Randy suggests not raising it more than 0.5 meq/l (1.4 dkh) at any one time. assume it's to avoid ph swings. I believe you want to be careful primarily if you're trying to raise alk on the high end, you run the risk of CaC03 precipitating out of solution with a sudden rise in ph.

bertoni, i assume you always use baking soda to raise your dkh that much? I would be a little leery raising my alk 3 dkh using recipe 1.

cheers

bertoni
02/11/2011, 03:43 PM
I don't recall Randy every recommending a limit like that, especially with a low pH supplement. A high-pH supplement might be an issue, though. I'll try to check.

reefology
02/12/2011, 11:40 AM
I don't recall Randy every recommending a limit like that, especially with a low pH supplement. A high-pH supplement might be an issue, though. I'll try to check.

looking for it too but can't seem to find it :( may have come from another source???

note: though i don't know for sure, I would assume it's fine to raise alk that much using a low ph supplement like sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) on occasion. I was however referring to adding a high ph supplement (sodium carbonate/baked baking soda/soda ash) in reference to the threadstarts situation.

cheers