PDA

View Full Version : Things to consider before buying a new fish?

jauld
02/10/2011, 02:36 PM
Hey everyone.

I am considering buying some new fish for my aquarium, and I was just wondering....

What things should you know before buying a new fish?

reef safe?
Temperment
Diet
Compatibility
Minimum tank size the fish will do well in
Adult size of the fish
Maintenance of the fish (aka care level or difficulty of care)

Are there any other things you guys think is important to know before making a new fish purchase?

chimmike
02/10/2011, 02:40 PM
looks like you got most of the bases covered!

Angel*Fish
02/10/2011, 02:41 PM
I guess you covered it with compatibility, but you want to know what other fish you plan to add.

You want to know what kind of environment makes the fish comfortable. Some fish like lots of swim area, others prefer lots of rocks to graze on and hide in.

You want to know if they eat things you want to keep. I avoid any fish that would make a dent on my bristle worm or pod population. I guess you could sort of say that was covered in diet, but in my experience it's not even considered very often.

thump9
02/10/2011, 02:43 PM
Research the specimen(s) to ensure they arent venomous or posess envenomating appendages.

These usually include but arent limited to Lionfish, scorpion/rockfish or coral catfish. Always good to check.

But u have everything covered id think. Good luck !!!

jauld
02/10/2011, 02:46 PM
I guess you covered it with compatibility, but you want to know what other fish you plan to add.

You want to know what kind of environment makes the fish comfortable. Some fish like lots of swim area, others prefer lots of rocks to graze on and hide in.

You want to know if they eat things you want to keep. I avoid any fish that would make a dent on my bristle worm or pod population. I guess you could sort of say that was covered in diet, but in my experience it's not even considered very often.

Good point. Planning is definitely a HUGE aspect of successful aquarium keeping.

I guess research should be #8 on the list.

eja99
02/10/2011, 03:31 PM
I would also research collection method. For example back in the day (and hopefully this is no longer the case) Bicolor angels were often collected with cyanide.

Every bicolor I bought died with days and I could never figure it out.

Angel*Fish
02/10/2011, 03:50 PM
I would also research collection method. For example back in the day (and hopefully this is no longer the case) Bicolor angels were often collected with cyanide.

Every bicolor I bought died with days and I could never figure it out.Really good point - many angels are still collected with chemicals.

snorvich
02/10/2011, 04:02 PM
Not just angels are collected with cyanide. What I would add to the list is "what feeding program" is appropriate to your fish/tank although that is sort of covered under "diet". Ideally, what you feed your tank should be usable by all fish in the tank.

eja99
02/10/2011, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=snorvich;18320282]Not just angels are collected with cyanide. [QUOTE]

Yup, I believe Fenner had a picture of cyanide collection in his book.

Sorry to sidetrack, but I would recommend all new hobbyists buy Fenner's book The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. After reading it cover to cover multiple times, my husbandry improved 10 fold.