PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn fell now stuck

Mr.Mcgibblets
02/10/2011, 06:00 PM
So just when I had my tank setup the way I wanted my frogspawn somehow got knocked off its perch and wedged in between some LR. The frogspawn of course fell into the worst spot in the entire tank as far as recovery goes. My question is how long can I leave it where it is without it causing problems in my tank? I tried moving some rocks to get to it but it started becoming like a house of cards. I need a significant amount of time to retrieve and replace rocks. Do you guys think it would be ok until Monday or is this something that needs attention ASAP. Thanks

Sk8r
02/10/2011, 06:05 PM
I fear this is somewhat an emergency if you want that piece to recover. Facedown in the sand or with its skin jammed against another rock, it will take damage. If it were mine, I'd go line a trashcan with garbage bag (I prefer white: easiest to examine for stray specimens after done) and start taking rock out until you can set things to rights. Wear gloves---latex exam gloves. Try not to disturb the sandbed or things can get really bad: don't move any buried rock or you can touch off a cycle. Just move surface pieces until you can set the frog aside on the sand and get something like a rock structure built back, and be sure you haven't got a stray fish or snail in that garbage bag. When you put the frog in its final place, I recommend reef putty: putting a little wad between rocks and on the backside of specimens and letting it harden into place will assure this fellow doesn't do it to you again.
Also corals that wobble in the current don't grow: I'm not sure this is scientific fact, but I've never had a coral grow until I fixed it securely in place.

Mr.Mcgibblets
02/10/2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. what about rubber cleaning gloves, would those work. Don't have any latex ones handy.

lananthony
02/11/2011, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't leave it that long. You run the risk of damaging it. They are pretty sensitive when it comes to lack of lighting.

jeff@zina.com
02/11/2011, 10:21 AM
what about rubber cleaning gloves, would those work.
Brand new and never touched any cleaning product, they're fine. Used, forget it. Go bare handed if you have to, the gloves are to protect you.

Jeff

jokim
02/11/2011, 02:29 PM
yeah bare hand is fine, just no cuts and careful if you have anything that will sting u bad like a bristle worm.

cjdevito
02/11/2011, 02:59 PM
Having a long (12+"), thin pair of forceps or tweezers around helps immeasurably. Mine are amongst the tank tools I use most often. It's not an immediate help, I know, but going forward you might want to acquire one.

dvenson
02/11/2011, 03:04 PM
depending on how much light it is receiving you may be ok for a few days. think of the storms and clouds that block the light on a reef

steelhead77
02/11/2011, 04:48 PM
So just when I had my tank setup the way I wanted my frogspawn somehow got knocked off its perch and wedged in between some LR. The frogspawn of course fell into the worst spot in the entire tank as far as recovery goes. My question is how long can I leave it where it is without it causing problems in my tank? I tried moving some rocks to get to it but it started becoming like a house of cards. I need a significant amount of time to retrieve and replace rocks. Do you guys think it would be ok until Monday or is this something that needs attention ASAP. Thanks

I think your question was "how long can I leave it where it is without it causing problems in my tank?" Not "how long can I leave it until it has problems." If your not worried about the FS, then don't worry about retrieving it. It won't cause a problem in your tank. Corals die every day with no negative tank issues. If you're worried about the FS, then retrieve it ASAP. Upside down, against a rock, with no light - within a day or so it will begin to decline in health .

Mr.Mcgibblets
02/11/2011, 05:31 PM
Having a long (12+"), thin pair of forceps or tweezers around helps immeasurably. Mine are amongst the tank tools I use most often. It's not an immediate help, I know, but going forward you might want to acquire one.

That's a very good idea. It wouldn't have helped in my situation but I can think of several times when it would have.

On a side note got the frogspawn out this morning and it actually fared very well, it looks very healthy. My main concern was that if it died it might release toxins that would hurt the rest of the tank but I am thinking this might be anemones that i am thinking of? Again thanks for all the help.