PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting cuttlefish

ezhoops
02/10/2011, 08:11 PM
I am a somewhat experienced reefer and currently have a fallow tank and was thinking of getting some cuttlefish.

I saw this and it peaked my interest.
http://www.nyaquatic.com/servlet/the-829/Cuttlefish-Eggs-%283pc%29/Detail

I am aware of tonmo but was hoping someone could get me started here.

I have a 50 breeder and the rest is listed in my signature

thanks

andrewkw
02/11/2011, 10:18 PM
It's pretty simple. Are you willing to spend hundreds of dollars on weekly or bi weekly mysid shrimp shipments, when they are babies?

if you answer yes and you've kept a reef or even a fish only tank then you can keep them.

If you want to try some cheaper method of feeding them you probably can't keep them.

If you live somewhere you can catch them that would work too, but I find the lab grade ones much better then wild caught of course I always had them shipped so it could just be the lab ones ship better.

Koshmar
02/14/2011, 06:20 PM
They're a whole lot easier to keep than what most sites say IMO. I've kept S. bandensis myself and raised the hatchling. The best thing to do is to get a really young one, I got mine one day after hatching. They eat a TON of mysid shrimp though but you can culture your own (somewhat difficult and time consumming). Have you checked out dr James wood's cephalopod page? That's were I started researching. I kept reading for six months before starting and stumbling upon a cuttle at my lfs. That was a great day :)

In a 50 gallon you could keep several S. bandensis. In terms of S. officinalis you'd have to check with someone else on their requirements.

deathy17
05/15/2011, 05:19 PM
where would you buy a cuttlefish?

mfish1
05/19/2011, 07:13 PM
Tagging along

bradleym
05/20/2011, 07:59 AM
Check with your LFS. If they can order eggs I would have them order eggs and hold them until they hatch. Shipping live ones is risky and some eggs are duds. Otherwise check on TONMO.com and again, order eggs. My LFS ordered me some and then when they hatched I only had to buy what hatched. Definitely ideal.

KoralKeith
06/08/2011, 02:11 AM
Wow that would be so cool to have a cuttlefish