PDA

View Full Version : Scorpionaeniformes info

palmer373
02/11/2011, 06:47 PM
ive asking this a million and 1 times before but what is the hardiest and easiliest to wean scorpionaeniformes out there? i want to say it was fuzzy dwarf lion but people have different opinions. i want to get a scorpionaeniformes but dont want to have to spend a week or more to wean it or something like that. better yet if any scorpionaeniformes would take pellets thatd be awesome!! lol

also, ive been reading online how triggers and scorpions dont coexist well but ive read one or two places (might have beent his site?) that say if you were to try trigs and scorps the best bet is a niger trig. is this possible? a niger and scorps?

namxas
02/11/2011, 07:48 PM
ive asking this a million and 1 times before but what is the hardiest and easiliest to wean scorpionaeniformes out there?

also, ive been reading online how triggers and scorpions dont coexist well but ive read one or two places (might have beent his site?) that say if you were to try trigs and scorps the best bet is a niger trig. is this possible? a niger and scorps?

Typically, the easiest lions are P. volitans and P. russelii, followed by the fuzzy. However, it's really dependent on the individual fish and the technique and patience of the trainer. For instance, our P. mombassae weaned almost immediately and is a voracious feeder.

Scorpaena brasiliensis is about as easy as they come in terms of the scopionfish.

One thing to consider, is that one really needs to feed their charges properly, regardless of species. In this case, it means providing a good and varied diet. I'm sorry to say that as much as I love Scorpaenifomes, they do require some special care and aren't necessarily for everyone. However, if you choose to accept the challenge of their care, they are generally long-lived and interesting fish that are high in "WOW factor" when folks see them.

As for compatible triggers, any of the planktonic-feeders should be OK, so you should be looking at genera Xanthichtys, Melicthys and Odonus.

HTH

palmer373
02/11/2011, 10:21 PM
wow i feel stupid, Scorpaeniform not Scorpionaeniform lol

hmm alright i guess ill just try my luck at the ones i want to then. ill also look at the S. Brasiliensis then, thanks!

namxas, what do you feed your lions and scorps (either frozen or alive)? just trying to see if i have the time to feed them and if i can get it locally.