PDA

View Full Version : Pick my new Tang!

fiji4118
02/11/2011, 07:34 PM
Hey everyone,

So, have a 150 reef. Had a crypto issue so have all my fish in a 72 with CP for the next 6 weeks. What better time to add a new tang. So, currently have 1 purple 3", blonde naso 4.5", hippo 4.5", black spot 4.5". All get along well. Fish are all good in the CP QT tanks so far. All eating and what not. Wondering about another tang. Would love everyones input. I love sohals and clowns. Both mean but I have not had any issues with sohals in the past. I would like one more tang. Achilles, atl blue, choc, convict, desj sailfin, fowleri, maculiceps, powder, sail, valmingi. Any thoughts tang lovers?

davocean
02/11/2011, 07:40 PM
Honestly you have too many already, and tangs that are going to be too big for that tank very soon.
The naso needs a much bigger tank.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

fish77
02/11/2011, 07:45 PM
Honestly you have too many already, and tangs that are going to be too big for that tank very soon.
The naso needs a much bigger tank.

+1::thumbsup:

MCCOOL
02/11/2011, 07:46 PM
+2

And the tank needs to stay fishless for ~6 weeks to rid it of the parasite, otherwise your fish will be just as likely to become infested, upon reintroduction.

TampaReefer79
02/11/2011, 08:19 PM
This one isn't going anywhere good.

I agree with everyone else, the naso needs a new home and the hippo too if not now, soon. I wouldn't add another, you have plenty already.

SDguy
02/11/2011, 08:48 PM
Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, you already have quite a few tangs with the potential to get quite big. I would focus on getting and keeping those healthy, and enjoying them. If the day comes when they get too large, you're going to want them to be in perfect health if you plan to find new homes for any of them.

fiji4118
02/11/2011, 08:51 PM
Interesting. Thanks on the 6 weeks. Have the fish in the 72 with CP for 7-8 weeks while the 150 is fallow for 8 full.

So the general consensus is that 4 sub 5" tangs is too many for a 150 gallon? I've always heard the rule of 10X the length of the tang for tank size and I am above that. I certainly wasn't asking about what happened when they grow. None of these fish will be in this tank above 7" as they move on.

SDguy
02/11/2011, 09:00 PM
Well, the way I see it, the blonde naso and the blue hippo, even if they get smaller than their max size, still will get BIG. Plus another two tangs, one of which gets very aggressive as they age, IME... I'd say you are full, tang wise, in a 150g. How about small dither fish, like wrasses or anthias?

davocean
02/11/2011, 10:26 PM
I admit I used to be all about the tang:), but right now my 150g has only one, my beloved tennenti, and now beginning a nice collection of anthias and couldn't be happier.
Never thought I'd see the day I switched teams, but...

brandon7491
02/11/2011, 10:27 PM
get a convict tang

SDguy
02/11/2011, 10:36 PM
Never thought I'd see the day I switched teams, but...

Davo

That's going to be so embarrassing in my signature :D

fiji4118
02/11/2011, 11:06 PM
Well folks, this is the reason we all post. I will stick with the tangs I have and replace them as they move on to new tanks.

As a side note. I have crypto in my tank. None of my fish are currently "suffering" from it (they have battled through). But I would prefer to eradicate it now vs. allowing all new fish to either sink or swim like the last tangs have. Hence the CP treatment wiht the fish and all the rock and coral sitting fallow in the 150.

On a side note. Have a eyelash/lawnmower blenny that has always been in the 72. I would really like a midas blenny with him in the 150. Any chance???

davocean
02/11/2011, 11:09 PM
That's going to be so embarrassing in my signature :D

Gawd my humour gets me in trouble sometimes!LOL