PDA

View Full Version : clown feeding problem

digihang
02/11/2011, 11:09 PM
Hi fellow reefers,
I would like some advices/assistances. I have 2 clowns, one big and one small. However, the small one doesn't seem like it can eat Marine-S pellets and the big one eats it like its nothing. Anyways, the small one tries to eat, however, the pellets went in its mouth and pop back right out. Then I thought of an idea, I crushed the pellets up into small grain size and the small one was swimming around swallowing the grain sized pellets. My questions is will this be enough for the small one's appetite? Also is this dropper good to spot feed my clowns?thanks very much!

http://www.marinedepot.com/Kent_Marine_Nautilus_Sea_Squirt_Feeding_Prong_Fish_Food_Tongs_Prongs-Kent_Marine-KM2711-FIFDFETP-vi.html

davocean
02/11/2011, 11:22 PM
That dropper is fine, but I usually don't need to spot feed my clowns, they chase the food fine.
I do however use a regular turkey baster to apply mysis and cyclopseze to my anthias, but just a store bought turkey baster.
If you're feeding spectrum pellets, they make big and small grain size if that helps.
I like a varied diet, mysis, cyclopseze, spectrum pellets, ocean nutrition prime reef flakes.

89Foxbody
02/11/2011, 11:49 PM
Try a different type of food maybe. Flakes are very easy for fish to eat since there's not much to em. You want to vary the diet anyhow. My guys get Ocean Nutrition prime reef, formula 1, formula 2, spectrum pellets, and a bunch of different Sally's frozen foods like krill, mysis, emerald entree, etc.

WXB
02/12/2011, 12:31 AM
I mix it up every day. I use pellets and frozen cubes. I chop up the cubes and mix match it up. In the morning I give some pellets and some frozen. At night I will just do frozen. then the next day use flakes or pellets and so on. I give them Fresh crab shrimp and scallops. They love the fresh stuff. Putting some meat on a clip for the cowns is good. They like to peck at food. It keeps them out of the way so the Anem can eat.

tmichael
02/12/2011, 02:00 AM
I would also try and feed the flakes. My smaller clown does not eat the Thera plus A pellets I feed the rest of my fish. I do feed flakes with it to supplement for the smaller fish and a little variety.

maciebee
02/12/2011, 06:34 AM
Mine two clowns were doing the same thing. I switched to flakes now they both eat

jeff@zina.com
02/12/2011, 08:48 AM
Cyclopeeze gel is easy for clowns of any size to eat. And yes, mix it up.

Jeff