PDA

View Full Version : Is Safe to Use?

Fretfreak13
02/12/2011, 09:33 AM
I need some black acryllic, and just wanted a quick opinion from the masters before I went out and bought it. Is there anything that could go wrong with this (http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet_Black_and_White)?

mscarpena
02/12/2011, 09:43 AM
No. I have always found US Plastics to be superb for acrylic and plexiglass. I would go with acrylic over plexiglass if you can afford it.

mscarpena
02/12/2011, 09:44 AM
By no I mean no problem. Acrylic is more UV stabilized in general. So if you going to add a light I would go with acrylic.

Fretfreak13
02/12/2011, 09:46 AM
Thank you for the quick reply! I'm going to be building an in-tank filter system sort of like the biocube has. Why acryllic over plexi? Would it really make a difference for something like that? Its just going to be the straight wall and then some walls inside the back compartment to separate the filtration stages.

Sharpie_
02/12/2011, 10:36 AM
if that is your intended goal I would go with the more "cost effective" method. Get a piece for glass cut for the back as the structural support, then get the acrylic but extremely thin (as in 1/8"). Take the acrylic and router your teeth out as well as drill the holes you need.

The biggest benefit of this method is cost savings, second is that because the glass only goes most of the way up, the acrylic at the top is easy to cut and drill. Less expensive tools and drillbits because you won't be drilling into glass. Not only that but the bond between glass/silicone/glass is much more structurally sound then glass/silicone/acrylic.

Fretfreak13
02/12/2011, 10:46 AM
Is there a way to get the glass black? I want to hide all the filter stuff from the back. Bare with me here, I'm a 17 year old girl and have never done a DIY anything before. lol